Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Checking Trans Level 52 Mayfair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings Friends I am getting to know my new 52 Mayfair, and going over the fluids levels I am unable to locate the transmission dip stick! I read the owners manual and it looks like I must check it from the under side of the transmission , is that correct or am I just over looking it? Dale

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Checking Trans Level 52 Mayfair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is correct. The dip stick is fairly short & mounted to the cap. Under the car, it will be on drivers side in a tube about 1 inch in diameter & 2-3 inches high. It is just behind the bellhousing and at corner of trans pan. Very close to the area where side of transmission tunnel and floor come together --about where the accelerator is.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks is that where I add fluid also if it is low?

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes but you need to have some kind of pump or some kind of filler tube because there is no room to pour directly out of bottle.

Another place to fill is from inside the car. More work and you still have to get under to check dipstick but lots do it.

If you want to try from inside, then in the transmission hump centered and just in front of seat, there is a cover plate over the breather. You might be able to see or feel it if the carpet is soft enough. Pull the carpet aside and unscrew the plate (2 screws IIRC). The breather will unscrew or possibly if filled there before, there will just be the mesh to pull out. You can get a small funnel and fill--just make sure the carpet doesn't flop back and hit things or it's oil city..

Posted on: 2008/8/17 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks again, I see why in the owners manual it says to take it to a dealer to have the trans fluid check!! I will pull the carpet tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A couple of options if you don't want to mess with carpet. Harbor Freight has these pumps and there is also a bellows type you squeeze. Don't remember right now where I saw that one though.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.29 KB)
209_48a8e1b7e7076.jpg 444X540 px

jpg  (23.14 KB)
209_48a8e1c271f76.jpg 444X612 px

Posted on: 2008/8/17 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks again you have made my night sleep a lot more restful. Dale

Posted on: 2008/8/17 22:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
NAPA also has an "oil gun" that looks very much like a grease gun, except that:

- There is no "trigger" - you just push the pusher piston handle in by hand to eject the oil

- There is a plastic hose. One end attaches to the gun. The other is used for two purposes: (1) to suck oil out of its original container and (2) to squirt the oil into the transmission.

- Using this device, you can "push" any reasonably liquid fluid UP into a transmission or axle housing whose filler hole is too high to pour into.

It is all metal except the hose, and it works well. I just used it to refill my overdrive, manual transmission, and rear axle.

It is quite inexpensive as well.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/19 7:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
I bit the bullet and pulled the carpet back to reveal the inspection plate. It was sure a lot easer and I was able to add the correct amount of flluid. I tried it from under the car and found that I was not 16 years old any more. Thanks to all who assisted me with this feat!!

Posted on: 2008/8/19 16:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bob
See User information
Hello,
If you locate the plastic bottles that are used for hair color, they have a sharp tip that makes it easier to fill. I used a 6 oz bottle and squeezed in a few ounces at a time. It was the only size I could invert and fill the tranny without making a mess. You might want to see if you can find a small bottle and use a spout from bottled water. This way you can invert the bottle and then slide open the spout. I do this with my Volvo. It's the cleanest method and you don't need a funnel. Hope this helps....

Posted on: 2008/8/27 21:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved