Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: 42' Clipper Street Rod
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Thank you Mark for your encouraging words. I have been restoring cars for more than thirty years but this is the first Packard. It has been an exciting challenge to create a unique car. Hopefully others will like the end result.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 22:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
What front end kit did you use? I've been eyeballing them but not sure who's good.
I'm torn between a dropped straight axle and a rack/A arm/disc brake kit. I like a bit of rake, ~2" lift, in the front not the sled or tail dragger. But may go air bags. FASTBACKS FOREVER! Let the lake pipes roar!
Like that front and back treatment. I had an idea, came across an early P grill shell and thought about incorporating in my '49 to get rid of the school bus look, if I go V12. Right now, I'm going stroker & recessed lights with '55 chevy eyelids. '49 cad lts frenched in the back. I have to decide fast, first fender in on the weld stand but I'm doing another quick driver project now.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 20:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Hey Fish'n Jim
The front assy. is from www.helixsuspension.com they were the only ones we could find with a wide enough crossmember and track width. You've got some good ideas but when you say stroker your not talking chev are you? Say it isn't so.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks for the Helix info.
fishnjim sez; "it ain't so". (yet!) Still deciding. It's what I'm comfortable with and HP/torq is right for this body wt.
I'd like to do the biturbo V12, but don't want to get in over my head. Not a mercedes ECM programmer. I almost bought motor, but the weather interfered w/ trip(omen). Almost bought a AMG wreck with same WB, but I figured it was better to fix the AMG... Beemer racing wanted to many $ just to open up and look.
Soon as I get the Cad on the road, I can go back to the "P". I'm close, got the plates today. Hopefully, by this weekend.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 15:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I love it. Nice work. Dont worry about the negative comments. I agree with you and if you leave all the nameplates off, when the young kids at the car shows point and say, cool what is it? You answer "its a Packard" hopefully it will light the fire of someone of the next generation. There is room for the factory correct restorations, hot rods, customs, resto mods etc and i can appreciate them all. Lets face it, a 40 or 41 Willys coupe with a 65 horse flat 4 was not what thrust it to the forefront of iconic american automotive history. Hemi and blown v8 drag racing did. While I agree some cars have engineering and performance worthy of preserving, hot rodding anything with production numbers over 500 is ok by me. Hope to see pix of the finished project!

Attach file:

jpg  (107.80 KB)
1794_53a8bb5a3fff8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/6/23 18:42
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Just a little update,I finely got all the power window frames made and working, made new drip rails with moldings. Extended the lower part of the grille and finished the tail lamp bezels and licence pocket.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.53 KB)
40258_53bb5f171198d.jpg 433X289 px

jpg  (35.40 KB)
40258_53bb5f51999fe.jpg 432X324 px

jpg  (40.09 KB)
40258_53bb5f9ce09ac.jpg 432X324 px

jpg  (36.52 KB)
40258_53bb5fd7954f9.jpg 457X306 px

jpg  (31.21 KB)
40258_53bb600ac6337.jpg 432X324 px

Posted on: 2014/7/7 22:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The craftsmanship is amazing. Truly a nice build. Keep the pictures coming.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 8:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I am not generally into customs, but this is going to be one very striking car. My tendency would be not to go overboard with the exterior -- the lines say it all. I would hate to see any of J.C. Whitney crap, you know, fake side pipes, superficial stick-on chrome, etc. which is too often the case with Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics. I do not think you'd go in that direction anyway.

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to boost the output of a Packard straight 8 by say, adding a blower? I have never seen it done before. Mated with a 5-speed stick shift and a 9-inch Ford rear end, the car should be able to keep up with most modern V-8s, wouldn't you say?

Posted on: 2014/7/8 12:14
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Here is a video of a guy driving a supercharged Packard straight 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9F5t7JLbY0

Here is a walk-around of the same car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcqO-BLMV0

Here is a Hot Rod magazine article about the car:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1002_packard_retro_rod/

Granted, this car is a pretty rough compared to what you are doing, but I think you'd probably have the space under the hood for such an engine and blower. The beauty of this would be that your car would remain all Packard!

Attach file:

jpg  (121.44 KB)
5003_53bc2af9d029d.jpg 1055X792 px

Posted on: 2014/7/8 12:31
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I like what you have done with the front end styling. The side extensions that compliment the vertical grill work well. Actually, in my opinion, better looking than what Packard did. It is going to be a nice street rod.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/8 18:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved