Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

battery replacement advice for 1952
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello:
can any one give me advice on what type of battery to buy for my 1952 200?
my current battery is about 4 yrs old and does not hold a charge. I think it is time to replace.
I want to know What is the CCA needed for this car?

I would appreciate your advice.
tim

Posted on: 2014/4/5 20:17
 Top  Print   

Re: battery replacement advice for 1952
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original battery was a group 2 and specs were given in amp hour capacity. 100 Amp Hour for most 52 models and 120 for the Patrician and Commercial cars.

The modern specs are given in cold cranking amps (CCA) & are not really apples to apples. Some websites say a conversion can be made by multiplying the old AH capacity by 7.25 to get a very rough approximation to today's CCA spec. Other sites say the conversion really can't be made with any degree of accuracy because of other factors that have to be considered that differ by battery manufacturer.

Here is one battery that was purchased by one of our posters for his 53 that he said was quite satisfactory. It was stronger than the one from TSC he had been using & still fit the tray. If you have an O'Reilly store it may be suitable for your car. IMO, the important thing is cables and for the large engines, to get the largest CCA you can get that will fit the battery tray and hold down.http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSB5/2/N0369.oap?ck=Search_N0369_1351965_2181&pt=N0369&ppt=C0327

Posted on: 2014/4/5 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I know most of the people here like to go for the biggest whomper stomper they can find, but I just go to the tractor supply and buy the little 6v batteries they have in stock. They will start any 288 or 327 for years even in cold weather if you have decent cables--#0 or #00. That's what I have used in all my 6v cars for the last 20 years or so, getting about 5-6 years out of them. My roadster sat for almost 4 months and cranked right up at 35 degrees the other day.

Posted on: 2014/4/5 21:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Battery technology has significantly improved since the 1950's. Pretty much any group 2 battery will serve your needs just fine. Just make sure you're getting a fresh battery-- not too many people buy 6-volt batteries anymore, so it's quite possible to get one that's been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Your best bet might be to buy it from a high volume retailer (think parts houses).

I've installed countless batteries from NAPA in customers' cars as well as my own, and have always had good luck with them, especially considering they're reasonably priced. Go with the one that has the longest free replacement if you're buying over the counter at a parts store or online.

This is the one I have in my '52, it's been in there for four years, and it still tests good on both load and recovery.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-Automotive-Commercial/_/R-NBE7204_0398748037

Posted on: 2014/4/6 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks guys for your advice. I really appreciate it. Now I know what I am looking for.
the battery I have now is the one HH56 recommended.
It takes two days to charge and then in 1 wk the multimeter only measures 4.5 volts. so in 1 wks time it loses its power. and I make sure I have left nothing on. and the battery is 4 years old.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Got mine at Wal-Mart....

Any thoughts on optimas, which seem decidedly pricey...

Posted on: 2014/4/6 14:52
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm thinking any 6v battery is luck of the draw. Neither the O'Reilly or the Napa appears to have a long warranty period -- around two years, 3 max and both prorated after a few months if I'm reading it correctly. I guess with yours getting 4 years it is on borrowed time.

As to the Optima, you will get many answers. Some swear by them and others have not had as good a luck. I did try one in my regular car and also in the 56. Both lasted for about 5 years. The one in the Packard did much better than the "boutique" batteries I had been using before it. The one in the pickup about the same as the original battery.

The failure was the same as most and happened fairly rapidly -- starting was getting slower and slower. I'd charge overnight and car would start OK maybe once or twice until battery finally wouldn't hold a charge and no start at all. I replaced them both with regular batteries because I didn't see it was worth the extra approx $100. One in the Packard with a Napa and the other with whatever brand Costco was selling for modern cars.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've been getting about 8 years from the NAPA 6-volt batteries, one of them made it to 10 before replacement. I can't say the same for their (or anybody else's) 12-volt units, about 1/2 as long though from what others tell me, it seems quite typical that the 6-volt units last longer. Plus they do give you a bit of warning whereas the 12s seem to just drop dead on the spot.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I did not find 6 v batt at walmart or sears. I did call napa , but they did not quote the batt drewla posted. to me that battery sounds good. I will check with napa again.
so much to do. and I need to change the oil. but that is another topic.LOL

Posted on: 2014/4/6 16:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
good news. Napa has 3 instock for 114.00. this should be good , it has more cca and the price isn't too bad. Now I will be on the road again.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 16:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved