Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 97

Alvin14, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Vesiapina's 1955 Packard 400 from Finland
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Now it's time for me to start my own project blog for my 1955 Packard 400. The car had came to Finland from California in summer 2012. The car was painted all white at that point. She had two owners in Finland before I bought it in spring 2013. Neither of the previous owners had the time to put the car on the road.

When I saw the car it was love at first sight. I had dreamt about my own 50's american car for a long time and this was my chance to make my big dream come true. We went to see the Packard with my father and it turned out that it's quite a solid and original car. The previous owners had taken some of the white paint off and they had found the original Ultramarine Blue paint underneath. They had taken some of that paint off too, so some parts of the car had no paint at all while some had the original paint and some had the newer white. The brakes were stuck and the engine needed some maintenance. The chrome was good and the car didn't have any big rust issues, so no welding needed. All the electrics worked including the torsion ride. What the car needed was new paint and interior and some loving care.

So I bought the car. We got new master cylinder and new brake cylinders with the car and we got the car on the road in no time. I drove the car all summer as it was and it worked great. Everytime I drove it I fell more in love with it.

Now this is my project blog about my dream come true: "Pauline", an Ultramarine Blue and Moonstone White 1955 Packard 400. There will be many questions and I have already made some topics about some of them. I hope there are people who can help me on my way restoring her and I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far.

Resized ImageThe first look.

Resized ImageMe, Pauline and the girls at Ruissalo island.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 13:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Vesiapina's 1955 Packard 400 from Finland
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know about the love or lust at first sight. I think mine started when Dad brought a V8 home "on approval" (Mom didn't approve).
Hope you find a spot of original unfaded paint so you get a decent match and glad you're enjoying the car. We will follow along with your progress.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
At the moment the Packard is in progress of getting painted. The car has been stripped almost completely from the outside. The windows won't be taken off. Packard should have primer on next week. The seats will also be redone soon. More about that later.

Some photos ahead!

This is what she looked when the stripping started:

Resized Image
Reminds me of a duck. :D

Resized ImageWorst rust spot in the car

Resized ImageThe original paint under the newer white.

This is how she looks at this point:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/4/27 14:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It appears that you have taped the stainless above the rear window. May I respectfully suggest that you remove the stainless? It is not as bad as it looks and you will get a better paint job. I did this on my 56 400.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 14:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
It appears that you have taped the stainless above the rear window. May I respectfully suggest that you remove the stainless? It is not as bad as it looks and you will get a better paint job. I did this on my 56 400.

Yes you may and thanks for your advice. We have to think about it once more. I'm just afraid it gets bent or broken.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 15:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Concur with Randy. If possible remove the trim. My experience too was that once you fall in love with your new paint job, you will want to professionally polish all your stainless. My opinion here, poorly polished stainless detracts from new paint jobs.

Nice car........

Posted on: 2014/4/27 15:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
The side emblems on the roof were already on bad shape and they are now broken. Does someone know where I can get new ones?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/4/28 14:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
KevinAZ is selling a pair. Look on the For Sale Wanted section of this site.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/4/28 15:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Does someone know where I can get new ones?

http://www.emblemagic.com/packard.htm

Look for Item C55PK42

Posted on: 2014/4/28 19:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks for the 'referral' JW!

Posted on: 2014/4/28 20:27
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved