Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

Ernie Vitucci, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Harmonic balancer pulley not seating flush
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I asked this on my project blog, but in hopes of reaching a wider audience (no offense to my 3 or 4 loyal readers, and of course you either Mom) I will ask this here too.

I started to put on the harmonic balancer pulley, but it doesn't seat all the way - see the picture. I tried pulling it down with the bolt and washer but it only goes so far, and doesn't get flush with the end to the shaft. So I have to get some bolts that fit the pulley, 7/16 fine thread which did not come with my puller set. When I disassembled it originally I just used a regular gear puller, but now I don't want to muck up the paint so I will do it right. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? There is just the timing gear, then the seal carrier, and then this pulley. I greased the inside of the cork seal prior to trying the pulley, so it shouldn't be hanging up on that?

Attach file:

jpg  (34.61 KB)
34001_536001ab1ac0c.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/4/29 14:46
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Re: Harmonic balancer pulley not seating flush
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
When I put together my straight 6 Triumph engine, I had a hard time because the keyway (slot in the pulley) was binding up. After cleaning the key and keyway it went together much better.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 15:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since the key isn't visible in your photo, Richter may be on target; good practice is that you don't assemble with the key fully in it's slot but protruding somewhat, to be tapped fully in when the damper is in place. My second guess would be that it's hung up by the front slinger/seal assembly.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 16:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joseph Fazzio
See User information
I would assume that in order to keep it tight there would need to have some tension on the pulley. Check the alignment with the other pulleys .

Posted on: 2014/5/1 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is what it is supposed to look like. As Josef mentioned, if the shaft was flush it would never clamp the pulley down tight.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 12:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...if the shaft was flush it would never clamp the pulley down tight.

Of course!!! Disregard my earlier unintelligent response.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks for the reality check guys, that makes perfect sense. I measured the depth to the seal and the pulley and that is all the further it's going to go, so we're all good. Pulley reinstalled and on to the next thing.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 20:52
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved