Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: "Special" items when converting to 12 volt?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

Can you post a picture of the "under dash" A/C unit you are thinking of using. I too was looking for a similar unit as there is really not alot of room under the 51-54 dashes.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 11:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
BigKev: Here you go:

Jim G

Attach file:

jpg  (30.91 KB)
777_48b054c51c746.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That would look pretty good up under the dash. I think it look period enough correct, and it would still allow you to use the stock fresh air controls and heater.

Excellent find!

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
"I just checked the "Fifth Avenue Internet Garage", where Randy Rundle hangs out. Good news and bad on the 12 volt conversion of the Borg Warner OD system:

- The 6 volt relay, and thre kickdown switch, both work just fine with 12 volts."

I also checked out the 5th ave site and commend the fellow for making the repro solenoids and relays but am wondering why, if the 6 V relay will work fine on 12 V, he went to the expense of making repro's of both--why not just one. It has been my experience that coils are designed around a specific voltage with resistance, current draw and heat dissipation all carefully considered.

If the relay were intermittent, might agree you could get away with it but since the OD relay is continuous duty, I'd bet the life on 12 V would be short. I would also bet the 12V headlight relay at $20 would work as well and be far preferable to $125 for one that looks stock. If worse came, you could mount the little cube relay inside the original can as the guys that had the burned out 6 volt relays did--but then you couldn't sell the original on ebay.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
BigKev: You don't need to keep the stock heater. The Old Air unit comes in TWO versions:
1. AC only
2. AC plus heat

I plan on getting the AC plus heat version.

See:
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38000000&products_id=4321

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
OK, You are right.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Jimgniteck, Yes I have read the manuals on adjusting electro-mechanical voltage regulators and have set up many myself. I disagree with your reference to VooDoo where it comes to these regulators. The adjustments are straight forward and relatively easy to make. It does require the right test equipment and fixtures. I agree with you that most mechanics consider anything they don't understand as VooDoo. These voltage regulators will work and last a long time without any problems.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 23:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Author, magazine editor, and restoration business owner Matt Joseph wrote a great book called "Collector Car Resotration Bible (KP Books, 2005). It was his second, improved edition. His first book was called "The Standard Guide to Automotive Restoration" (KP Books, 1992).

On page 150 of Collector Car Restoration Bible he says:

"The old electro-mechanical voltage regulators fitted to most cars from the 1930s into the 1970s were among the most finicky ever put on automobiles."

The rest of the pararagph that follows that sentence details some of the reasons and some of the consequences.

I want to avoid that unrecessary pain. :)

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/24 8:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Actually on my car I want to retain the stock heater and fresh air system, so all dash controls are functional. I will just add underdash A/C unit. Here in So. Calif I would only use the heater either very early morning or late Dec-Feb, or to defrost the windshield, so it doesnt need to be anything more that the stock one.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 17:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Jimgnitecki, I respect your opinion. All I can say is Most of the cars I've owned and driven every day have had DC generators and electro mechanical voltage regulators. For me they have worked fine for years at a time with out a problem. I worry more about wheel bearings than the charging system. For instance I aquired a 1955 Olds 88 in 1976. I put in excess of 150k miles on it. The guy I just sold the car to several months ago is still running the same voltage regulator it had in 1976. I don't know how long that regulator was on the car before I got it but I suspect any number of additional years. I have had many such experiences.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 19:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved