Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel returning to float bowl - instead of through jets?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

turpentyne
See User information
We're having a problem with a Carter WCBF carb on a '53 Cavalier. At first impression, it appears we have a bad accelerator pump. It's not pushing gas well through the jets. But my dad called me tonight. He's taken apart the carburetor and narrowed down the problem - but not sure how to solve the problem.

I hope I can explain this. I having not seen inside the carburetor myself - it seems to be his pet project, through the week. So he was trying to explain over the phone.

He took the top off the carburetor, and inspected the accelerator pump and the place where it sits, and saw that the problem doesn't seem to be the pump itself. There's a hole on the side (I don't know if he meant the pump, or the carb??? - This is the part I wasn't understanding) When operating the pump, its going through that hole right back into the float bowl, instead of through the jets. When he plugs off the hole, the pump squirts fuel just as it's supposed to do.

He also mentioned there's a little ball that just seems to be floating there (I'll guess maybe he means the 'intake ball check' ? Not sure) It doesn't seem right that it just floats in its little area - not seated down in anything.

So, now... I hope that made some sense. I've tried to find some diagrams online to help, but no luck.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 22:55
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel returning to float bowl - instead of through jets?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've tried to find some diagrams online to help, but no luck.

WCFB! The Packard shop manual gives very detailed instructions for rebuild, along with some good illustrations.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might also check out the service index for a list of counselors and bulletins. There are several articles pertaining to the 53 WCFB -- some adjustment changes and some detail changes. One bulletin has to do with the accelerator pump valving changing to a different type because of some issues with the original.

EDIT: Per your question at AACA this is an illustration of the 53 acc valving and flow. It is from an old Motors Manual. As noted in one of the counselor articles mentioned above, Packard changed one of the valves to a needle type. Assuming the basic carbs stayed the same there is also a breakdown and instructions on the WCFB in the 55-6 manual. It shows almost the same drawing except for the needle valve. Not sure if either would show the passage leading to where your fuel is winding up.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.22 KB)
209_53725ae83b197.jpg 1280X925 px

jpg  (236.58 KB)
209_53725afe7bca2.jpg 983X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/5/13 9:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

turpentyne
See User information
ah... thanks for the image post. I'll take that out this weekend and see if it helps figure things out.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 14:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved