Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacement for Packard Wheels
Just popping in
Just popping in

1955_Packard_Clipper
See User information
One question and I really appreciate the feedback. If I want to swap out the stock wheels (they are in rough shape) on the '55 Clipper, what options besides the Packard wire wheels do I have? I looks like a standard five-bolt pattern, but there is that pin that seems to stick out behind and through the wheel, thus eliminating many standard wheel choices. I called Tire Rack and they have no idea. Thoughts? Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/5/14 18:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Replacement for Packard Wheels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The Clippers used a 4 1/2 bolt circle which is very common to all sorts of Chrysler products. Back when they were more common, you could go and get Chrysler 5th Avenue/Volare/Aspen/Diplomat wheels at the junkyard and bolt them right on. It is no significant issue to drill a hole for the alignment stud.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 20:27
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

1955_Packard_Clipper
See User information
Ross,

Thanks - I appreciate it. You have opened a new world of wheels (that used to be a name of a car show) for me!

Nick

Posted on: 2014/5/15 12:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
find the stock wheel offset also and be within a few mm, and have a tire shop shim the hub opening to fit snug. Bolt pattern is the beginning of fit, not the end

Posted on: 2014/5/15 13:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
1980 Dodge 1/2 ton wheel will fit my 56 Exec just fine. Slight offset difference but not a problem. For any substitute wheel it mite be necessary to oopen up the centre pilot. Altho such practice is frowned upon thete is absolutly nothing wrong with opening it up. Unless u plan to tow 3ton airstreams thru the rockies or some other similar excessive demand.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 13:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

1955_Packard_Clipper
See User information
Ross,

So it seems that you are saying that the Chrysler models you mentioned also have the alignment stud and can go on the '55 Packard Clipper with no modification. Sound right?

Thanks,

Nick

PS - How can I setup alert to get email when someone replies to a post thread I am in?

Posted on: 2014/5/15 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Quote:
PS - How can I setup alert to get email when someone replies to a post thread I am in?

When you click reply and type your message, there are check boxes under the message box. One says "notify me of new posts in this thread". If you check it, you should get the notifications.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 14:11
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the Chrysler wheels you will have to drill a hole for the alignment stud. Also, they will not accept the bottlecap hubcaps if that is important to you.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 17:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew Sinclair
See User information
You might also want to try wheels like this - maybe give Coker a call to discuss:
http://www.cokertire.com/wheels/solid-wheel-primed.html

Posted on: 2014/5/19 18:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved