Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 139

Todd W. White, Wat_Tyler, Tom (Packin31), Ross, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

June Popular Mechanics takes on the 327 eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My June 2014 issue of Popular Mechanics just arrived today. On page 115 is a story with a few pictures by auto journalist Ben Wojdyla that will warm the heart of Packard enthusiasts. He bought an about-to-be scrapped 1950 Packard (it ran well in spite of serious rust) and wanted a winter project to rebuild the 327 eight. He enlisted fellow Detroit auto writers and enthusiasts to help him. The pictures almost make it look sexy and the text is mostly encouraging. Some very nice things are said about Packard engineering of the time. Although it is light on technical rebuilding details, I was happy to spend a few minutes reading and looking at the picture of a very clean shortblock Packard.

If you're not a subscriber, I'd bet your local library is. With a bit of luck, this article might be the spark that encourages a new appreciation of these engines.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 17:59
 Top  Print   

Re: June Popular Mechanics takes on the 327 eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See alao Ben's Project Blog here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 6:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Does the magazine article provide any updates? The blog ends rather abruptly.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
The Popular Mechanics article stops at the not-problem-free installation of the crankshaft into the pristine Packard short block. Obviously, there's a lot more that needs to be said, and whether or not it will include the rest of the car. But for me, the real take of the experience, as told in the magazine article (by our Ben W.) is the enthusiasm and fun these experienced Detroit writers and mechanics had with the Packard 327 straight eight. They included people with hands on wrenching experiences with the likes of much more modern and sophisticated engines (e.g. Lamborghini), yet this was all they could talk about when they got together a bit later. Packard engineering and quality, in this 1950 engine, really impressed them.

I enjoyed the aforementioned series, cited above, with Ben, forum members and all those pictures contained here. I, too, want to hear the rest of the story. I hope that Ben will see fit to tell it.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 8:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved