Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 56 Caribbean with split pistons....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
No offense taken.

Here to learn. And like all of us to occasionally be flabbergasted....

Posted on: 2014/5/25 22:58
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Quote:
We V8 owners really missed an opportunity on pistons a few years back. Some of you will recall the Kanter offered to have exact repro of factory autothermic strut design pistons manufactured for the 352 and 374 engines in std. and oversizes and only asked for a reasonable number of expressions of interest in them - I believe only 2 people expressed an interest so the project was abandoned.

Not the first time you've brought that point up, so I'll remind again that owners aren't gonna buy pistons for an engine until an overhaul is necessary and that it's impossible to say which, if any, oversize, they would need until such time.

When I first got into the dealership parts biz some 30+ years ago, we never stocked pistons on the shelf, but only special-ordered them from the factory warehouse when needed (which was not very often). I'm not aware of any parts stores that actually stock pistons, locally, for passenger car motors, but they also only order them from their warehouse system, when needed.

When the factory and retail aftermarket fall short, a vendor in the hobby segment needs to shoulder the burden of providing quality replacement parts. Otherwise, interest in restoring the cars will only suffers, and the level of butchering will grow.

Yet, Kanter's offer seems to have become a moot point when it was later announced, in this post, that Egge came out with "steel strutted" pistons for the 352 and 374 engines. Further discussion revealed that they were available in standard, .020, .030, .040 and .060 oversize. However, I'm still waiting to hear of anyone's experience with these pistons.

Meanwhile, there's a reason why Packard engineers went with autothermic pistons rather than cast in the V8s. So why should anyone settle for less than OE design/quality in restoration?

Posted on: 2014/5/26 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, Kanter wasn't asking for a firm commitment or even a deposit, just expressions of future interest. Moot point if Egge has them now.

Packard didn't decide on autothermic strut pistons at the time of the V8, they'd been using them for decades.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 10:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Quote:
Packard didn't decide on autothermic strut pistons at the time of the V8, they'd been using them for decades.

I never said that Packard's first use of autothermic pistons was with the V8s. My point was that they chose NOT to use cast pistons in the V8s. It doesn't make sense to me to go backwards, in terms of design, for a rebuild, either.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 11:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill Mitchell
See User information
I have not had any complaint with Egge who I think is a reputible company and I will probably replace the
egge pistong with egge pistons. I paid the cost of sending the pistons to them as part of my trying to gather as much information as could be found while doing the rebuilding. When the engine was gone through in 2003 it had a crack in the structure that holds the pin on the existing #7 piston. I don't know if that was a factory pistion or had been installed in the 1983 rebuilding. I do not want this to turn into an attack on Egge who strives to be a top quality part builder. The shop that is working on the engine tells me Egge problems are few and far between. Now you have it from the hourses mouth although some have refered to me as the other end. Bill Mitchell

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I would like to clear up one thing: nothing in my posts was intended to cast aspersions on Egge. I have no problems with them; if I needed pistons I would not hesitate to call them.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:49
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved