Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Minor Dilemma....Sell It Whole..Or Part Out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I have my '55 Clipper Super for sale on Craigslist..and it's been slow to say the least.
So I am contemplating parting it out..

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Here are the details..

1955 Packard Clipper Super Touring Sedan project car.
Two-tone green. 320 V-8 engine, Twin Ultramatic Automatic Transmission. 12 volt. It was built later in the model year as it has the curved side molding. It has a regular suspension NOT the torsion level system. It was running when the project began but it appears that the timing chain has jumped a tooth as the timing had to be adjusted way out in order to get it started. It needs front floorboards, a radiator, gas tank relined, a windshield, and other smaller things to make it a great running car. The upholstery is rough but complete. Headliner is missing as is the carpeting.
Paint is weather-checked, body fairly straight. Frame has no rust. Body has one rust spot and some surface rust. Back of the roof has a minor dent (see photo) The car has under 90,000 miles on it. Carburetor has been professionally rebuilt.
Only 7700 of these were built.
$1,000.00 price is negotiable
Car is at my house in Kingston NH about 30 minutes from the Haverhill Mass border and 40 minutes from the Kittery Maine border.
603-642-3327 (home)
603-582-1972 (cell)
Call anytime between 9AM and 8PM

Posted on: 2014/5/31 21:06
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Re: Minor Dilemma....Sell It Whole..Or Part Out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Selling some of these old gals can be frustrating. I speak from experience, but I eventually sold the '56 Clipper at the sought after price, but it took nearly a year. You need to 'market' the heck out of it and being willing to answer many questions both on the telephone and electronically. But set a realistic price. Also expect some low ball offers. As for parting it out, what leads you to believe that that endeavor will be a different experience?

Posted on: 2014/5/31 23:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I have my '55 Clipper Super for sale on Craigslist..and it's been slow to say the least.
So I am contemplating parting it out.

Any suggestions?

Found your CL listing:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4488291842.html

...with same text as you posted above, but the listing is a good example of the old adage that 'a picture is worth a thousand words'.

This car appears to be right on the tipping point - looks like it needs everything. Seems like you got the engine started, but does it move steer and stop under its own power?

On the plus side, the front fender brows look solid; the door and trunk skins don't seem to be flapping in the breeze. I can barely see the dent in the roof from the rear-end view; doesn't appear to be a big problem. What about the rest of the fenders and body? I can only see a glimpse of the rust-through in the driver's side floor board. What about the rest of the pan and body mounts (including the trunk floor)?

While the soft interior trim appears to be a mess, there might be some decent used interior trim out there (like from MD in MN). However, a broken windshield is gonna be costly to replace.

While there are some cars that (for various reasons) are genuinely worth more in terms of parts than as a whole, you have to think long and hard about what parts your car has that are highly marketable. Then, selling parts from a car, one at a time, can be a tedious process. Are you prepared to sell items on eBay?

To sell the car as a whole, you'll need to provide more pix of the typical rust-prone areas of the sheet metal to get any window shopper to inquire further. A Super sedan is a bit low on the list of sought-after 55s, but conventional suspension (rather than T-L) may be a plus to some prospective buyers. Yet, keep in mind that the geographic location seem a bit remote to many. All things considered, you may need to further reduce the price.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have one almost exactly like this in my yard except it's better and has a working T-L. No one will pay more than $400 for it so I turned it into the "Flipped Clipper" and a parts car. And I'm located near Las Vegas, so location is not an issue generally speaking.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/1 11:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback as always.
I'll sell it as one piece but include more pics of the floor.
The trunk is solid. and the body mounts look solid as well.. then again more pics will help things.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/6/1 12:51
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
If you part it out i am interested in 2 hubcaps to replace ones with sm dents, 2 body side mouldings and the rear seat upholstery if it is dk gr with lt star panels. these would need to be in better cond than what i have. im on L I so shipping wouldnt be too bad. sorry you are not going to finish the project but the guys like us with the exp and knowledge are getting older and dont have the physical ability to tackle these any more while the young do not have the desire to get "down + dirty. it will be considerable work to part it out but not nearly as much as the restore. good luck.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 13:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2014/6/5 16:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Holy cow......those hub caps on ebay have a shipping cost of nearly 80 dollars.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 20:35
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved