Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

gas tank lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I dropped the tank on my 39 120 yesterday to fix the fuel sender unit. The float had come loose and had to be replaced. That was the easy part. While attempting to reconnect the brass fitting from the fuel tank to the steel nut on the steel gas line on the body, I managed to cross thread it. (Murphy lives in my garage....)

I called my old mechanic buddy and he told me to bring the tank to him. He said that this was a common occurrence at the Chevy dealership he used to work at. What he did to correct the problem is to save some of the old threaded steel fasteners that are on the steel gas line. He would take the male fastener and cut parallel shallow grooves all the way around the unit, so that the cuts were parallel with the tubing. This made the fastener work as a tap in the softer brass female unit on the gas tank. As I remember, my 51 has the same brass/steel combination.

With a little fiddling, he was able to clean up the cross threaded brass female end in about two minutes. I then reinstalled the tank, leaving the straps barely fastened so that I could wiggle the tank a little bit. I put some oil on the threads of the steel nut and it slipped in easily with a twist of the fingers. No leaks and no expensive repairs. Nice trick!

Posted on: 2014/6/1 19:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved