Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

This was in my email today....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
They pulled the cover on my rear end and found this. Comments?

Attach file:

jpg  (138.71 KB)
2488_538be316a8197.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/6/1 21:36
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Re: This was in my email today....
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Jesus!

Posted on: 2014/6/1 21:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a twin traction -- did you know you had one? The loose bolts hanging out are sure interesting. Assume that is the way they were found and were those the only ones? Another quarter inch and it might have got exciting. It's hard to see what is going on with the left bearing holder -- is it machined for bolt clearance or just the camera angle making it look like it is notched.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 21:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Ah, it's either Dana-Spicer striking again or (more likely) someone forgot to torque some bolts a long time ago. This makes many a 56 owner want to pull their cover and hope things are Right and Tight inside. Since very few of us have stood watch over these cars since they were new, this is just another thing, caught in time, before real excitement/tragedy took place.

Reflect, for a moment, how old these newest of the Packards really are. In 1956, the oldest Packard in existence was 57 years old. Today, the newest Detroit-built Packard is 58 years old. That might be some sort of testimony to the enthusiasm and stubbornness of people who own them.

Best of luck continuing in getting this put right, and stay stubborn!

Posted on: 2014/6/2 7:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Out side of a build sheet or tearing the cover off, is there anyway to tell if you have twin traction?????

Posted on: 2014/6/2 9:10
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure. Put one rear wheel on something slippery and the other on dry pavement, put it in gear and step on the gas. I seem to recall that there is also a way by jacking both back wheels off the ground and spinning one wheel by hand, but I don't recall the details.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen
Check the parts cataloug and sm to determine if there are any washerss missing from under the loose bolts.

There also appears to be alot of heel wear patern on the crown so maybe a pinion adjuustment is also needed.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 9:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Damn!!!!! Maybe just the camera angle but it looks like all of the cover bolts are broken off???

Posted on: 2014/6/2 9:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Sure. Put one rear wheel on something slippery and the other on dry pavement, put it in gear and step on the gas. I seem to recall that there is also a way by jacking both back wheels off the ground and spinning one wheel by hand, but I don't recall the details.

If I recall correctly a simple check can be made to see if a differential is the limited slip type. With both rear wheels off of the ground, transmission in neutral, and parking brake released turn one of the tires. If both sides turn in the same direction it is a limited slip type. May be mistaken, but this is what I recall.

I think Pat is one lucky Packard owner. I wonder what made the mechanic decide to remove the cover.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/6/2 9:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also noticed the tooth contact pattern on the ring gear - doesn't look particularly good and wonder if the gearset has developed noise either on acceleration or coasting. I think replacement of the pinion bearings (and perhaps the carrier bearings?), resetting the backlash and tooth contact is something that I'd do were it mine.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 10:18
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved