Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 102

29tons, indhd20s, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: This was in my email today....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Conversely...

Heraclitus went home to his wife with this news, and he
said "Time is like a river which flows endlessly through the universe,
and you couldn't step into the same river twice."

She said, "Don't be an ass, Heraclitus. You could step into the same
river twice--if you walked downstream at the same rate as the river."

He was amazed!

Posted on: 2014/6/3 16:49
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Getting deep in more ways than one here, but back to our regularly scheduled program. When bolts are torqued to a stretch, then it's a really good idea to replace the bolts when you go back together. Not sure if they are special bolts, but Dana bolts ought to be available.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 22:26
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Come come gentlemen. We are Packard owners and thus, by definition civilized, erudite, cultured and possibly suave and debonair.

What more could anyone ask?

Posted on: 2014/6/4 15:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Roscoe has graciously supplied Packards of Chicagoland with hi-res scans of the booklet. After we photoshop out the oil stains and unfade the images we will be printing this booklet as a benefit for our club.

Cost, (including mailing in the US) is $12.50. PM me for paypal address.

Size will be 8.5x11, with a comb binder. This makes the type easy to read; we are paying special attention to the photos so that they are clear and equally easily readable.

A useful addition to your repair/maintenance library.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 15:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
What is the year application for this document? Thanks

Posted on: 2014/6/4 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
might get parts from chrysler,,,,think this came with my dads car,,don't spin test rear ,,

Attach file:

pdf Size: 205.13 KB; Hits: 57

jpg  (10.19 KB)
4498_538fdabb82dc0.jpg 208X272 px

Posted on: 2014/6/4 21:27
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
It is my understanding that the limited slip differential was only an option in 1956.

Can anyone confirm that this was exclusive to Packard?

Posted on: 2014/6/4 21:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was 56 but one thing I would wonder about is the book suitability for the early units Packard used. In post 16 in this thread Brian mentions the Packard unit used cone clutches and those are sort of detailed in the counselor or newsletter article (Vol30 #4 April 56). That booklet appears to be for the later disc clutch type. It may give some overall disassembly information but don't think it will be specific to repairing the 56 units. The 57 Packard supplement to the Stude manual shows an exploded view of the cone type but not much else.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The TT unit on my 56 Carib was of the cone type and it's a very late car, assembled just 2 weeks before shutdown. FWIW, the unit was very badly worn, beat to heck really, as were the pinion and carrier bearings so I replaced the entire carrier with an NOS non-TT unit with new ring and pinion gears in 3.31/1. I don't take the car out in snow and ice so doing w/o the TT is really of no consequence.

It's probably overkill but the EP gear oil is inexpensive so I drain and change every 5-6 years.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 22:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
It was 56 but one thing I would wonder about is the book suitability for the early units Packard used.

Yes, the design shown in the scans kindly provided by member 56executive is of the later design introduced with the 57th Series. The 58th Series also used this type of clutch, but somewhere during the run, the angle of the pinion ramps on the diff case was changed. (See this site's Service Index for bulletins on that.)

While this Dana document includes a service procedure for handling extreme chatter, which involves removal of the clutch pack, pages 8-9 are missing from the aforementioned post. Although the 56 unit used cone-type clutch, those missing pages MIGHT provide some clues as to the nature of fasteners, torque, etc. for the 56 design.

Otherwise, this information may only be relevant to owners of 57-58 Packardbakers - and only those with TT, which could prove to be a rather small market segment. While it's clearly a good reference for a technical archive to have on file, I doubt if sales would even recover cost of reprinting.

Meanwhile, the installation procedure, which is presented first, makes me wonder if Dana was marketing the Powr-Lok diff as an upgrade - though it appears to be quite a chore to install. I then have to wonder if a later disc-type diff was available that would fit the axles used in the 56 models (both Junior and Senior types).

However, I have to temper such hope with the fact that the (late) original owner of a 56 Caribbean convertible previously told me that (many years ago) Dana shipped him a standard diff to replace the failed TT unit when he restored the car, which was ultimately donated to the Warren museum.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 9:11
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved