Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard wreck on eBay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Anyone seen these HORRIBLE eBay items with the wrecked Packard and the girl inside. I messages the guy how disgraceful it was to post these for auction. Just horrible. That's someone's sister, mother, or wife, etc!!

Posted on: 2014/6/6 19:31
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard wreck on eBay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Yikes! Those were pretty brutal. I didn't see anything about a person still being inside, but to be honest, I didn't really want to look that closely.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 21:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Very poor taste on the seller's part. Disturbing really. I sent a message as well.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 0:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Please tell me that 967133 isn't mother and child. I'm looking at it wrong, aren't I?

Posted on: 2014/6/7 0:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
It does appear that there are two bodies in that back seat. It is probably a accident scene photo taken by the police and never meant for public release. It might even have been a still from one of those Scared Straight films like "Death on the Highway" that I had to watch when I was in drivers ed in the mid 1960s. The fact that the car was Packard is pretty irrelevant under these circumstances. While it may not be in the best of taste, it certainly is not as jolting as some war photos I've seen or the actual fatal crashes that I observed while I was a newspaper reporter. While someone might want this photo, that someone won't be me.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 7:00
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
A sensitive subject most obviously and I too suspect those pictures are a result of a reporter or CSI type from the era being asked to photograph for documentation and investigative purposes. Similarly to MrBumble, I too was present at many such scenes during my 30 plus years career as a law enforcement professional. There is no getting around the uncomfortable nature of the images because we responsible humans value life and understand that it can be taken away in an instant due to war, irresponsibility or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Having said that, I spent time studying the pictures and made note of one very important fact, amoungst other less important or hobby related. Primarily, these images have visually cemented in my mind that my beloved '55 Packard 400 is a vehicle with no safety features. Call it a death trap or unsafe at any speed. I do however love driving her and I've always intuitively known that those lap belts I added would do little should I become involved in a collision at any real appreciable speed. I was quite mindful of the above a couple of years ago as I drove to Laughlin cruising at 75+ along some stretches on roads through Arizona.

As for these images being sold, or "displayed" in public, despite the unpleasant side of it all, I'm thankful that in our free society government doesn't censor such topics.

The above thoughts are solely my personal opinions and not that of Packardinfo.com.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 9:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Almost everything eventually finds its way onto eBay.

I am presuming here that the subject being discussed for sale are photos of a smashed 1956 Four Hundred with a Yankee Pacesetter mirror. These were apparently taken in 1957. I don't see anything in the back seat in the 4 photos I've seen so far. But yes there is someone in the front seat barely visible and mostly on the passenger side. The head of this person ended up appearing to be in the rear seat simply because the front seat biforcated under the compression of the body caused by the side impact. In other words, the front seat was mooshed and literally folded in the middle. This pushing the backrests to a position where they folded toward one another and dumped the upper portion of the driver almost into the rear seat as they sandwiched her.

Since this vehicle quite obviously slammed into a tree sideways and at a very high rate of speed, it would follow that the person off on the passenger side was likely the driver. When a vehicle is hit from the right or impacted somehow on the right, the tendency is for the (unbelted) driver to pushed in the direction of the impact. Thus ending up (in this case) on the passenger side. If the impact had been on the left, it would have been the reverse.

Despite today's safety countermeasures, the same kind of damage and possible death could still be a possibility under such extreme conditions. That's a pretty severe, violent crash even for today. And with a car that big and that heavy... sustaining the level of damage seen here, it was really moving! But... had the driver been belted-especially with lap and shoulder belts, properly positioned, the odds of survival would have been greatly increased. If there was a death here (and it appears so) it likely occurred from secondary impact inside the vehicle when the body and head were slamming around after the initial impact.

Anyway, there are lots of possibilities for the images having been taken. Law enforcement, fire rescue, or news photographer. Yes, they took such photos, even though ones showing occupants were rarely published in those days-unless it had to do with mob activity.

The general public does not realize that photos like this are taken all the time, even today. Many end up being reviewed by automotive engineering and safety people in hopes that they can find new ways to prevent or minimize damage and injury to vehicle occupants.

As an automotive professional who has seen more than a few such images over the years, yes, they are grisly, but often such photos have revealed ways to improve vehicle safety and construction. No comment on selling them over eBay, but I've seen worse on there-especially years ago.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 10:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
While digging through a massive collection of racing prints a year or two ago, I saw the photos of French Police standing around a slew of bodies and car burnt parts. I knew immediately that it was Le mans,1955. Some things you just cannot un-see. Mercedes left racing for decades after that.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 12:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved