Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: today was unique, good, bad and unusual....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The lead must have been withdrawn from the terne-plate process about 20 years ago. When I got back in the dealer parts biz about 10 years ago, I was astonished at how many late model cars came into the shop needing the fuel tank replaced; many of those vehicles were much less than ten years old.

I'm still driving a 98 Monte Carlo that I bought new (a miserable POS), but it must be one of the few surviving examples around here that still has it's original tank. However, it's gonna need one soon. There's not a speck of plating left, and the metal is crispy. I also recently fabricated and replaced the twisted mess of a fuel feed line; the return line probably isn't far behind

Ten years ago, GM was asking $600 for a new fuel tank for that model, motivating customers to seek an aftermarket replacement. An aftermarket tank, made in Canada, was available for less than half that price. Virtually identical to OE, those aftermarket tanks have proven to be more durable.

If you're not driving your Packard over snow-covered, salt-treated roads (and give the spring rain enough time to flush that schitt off the roads) and store your car over a dry floor, you probably don't need to do a thing to the modern zinc-tin coating. If you're still worried about rust, you could - rather than painting the tank - have it (and perhaps the underbody) oiled, periodically, but be prepared for a lotta dripping.

Although I've not seen one of Kanter's new 1951-56 fuel tanks in person, the online images seem to indicate a reasonable facsimile of original. While there are some minor differences in details (likely due to some modern approaches to manufacturing), it looks like they should install, fit and function as original.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
While my 56 shows evidence of the gas tank being removed sometime in the last decade, the what and why is still a mystery. It is prettier than the surrounding body metal, but since it doesn't leak, I will be happy to keep it. Given the thoroughness of the previous mechanic owner, I would imagine it was taken out and cleaned before reinstalling, using a (Eastwood?) tank coating.

My 1987 BMW tank and fuel lines were replaced a few years ago with internal and external corrosion causing smells and leaks. My 1967 Corvette tank was replaced by me and club friends as a Saturday project. This was made more interesting because my car still had the factory glued tank sticker still in place after 46 years, showing details of production and content. A piece of paper, somewhat protected from the elements, lasting that long is strange when the tank, itself, seemed to be corroding on the bottom interior. Makes me think of Ethanol and what we've already talked about with outboards, lawn equipment and chain saws. I have never seen a Packard with a Flex-Fuel badge, but therein may be the reason for all of these failures in the past ten years.

I suppose the biggest blow to the car collector fans will be if 85 Ethanol is ever approved and adopted. Right now, finding the good gas is an adventure none of us want to take. At our business, my sons have three colors of new metal safety gas cans (diesel, 40:1 oil/mix, ethanol-free) and plastic for the current 10 percent ethanol. That new 10% is never put in a nice metal can per their ruling. I wince a bit when I put it directly into the Packard, BMW or the Corvettes. White plastic tanks seem the new normal, so the car makers may know something collectors don't.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
" White plastic tanks
seem the new normal, so the car makers
may know something collectors don't."

I don't quite understand that statement. Is that to imply that over the lastt 5 to 10 years somekind of new WHITE plastic gas tank is is used in production cars now???? Forgive me for i have not worked anything newer than 2001 models.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 10:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Re: post 10 above.
Conjecture: "Must be painted" to get the 90 years. Othetwise 20 to 30 years.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 10:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
gas tanks have been made of blow molded plastic (I think sulfonated PE)for a long time. It doesn't corrode and can readily be made in odd shapes to fit around the rear suspension. Remember that the placement hanging under the trunk just ahead of the bumper is no longer acceptable for crash safety (Pinto). Also, the fuel pump and sender is sealed in for emission control.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Prediction:
Most likely with in the next 10 years carb equiped engines will have to be converted to FI. Especialy if the E85 trend continues. Possible exceptions will be carb intakes that are mounted at opposite sides of engine from the exhaust such as the 2.0 F 4 cyl. ca. 1988 among others of the post energy crisis era of 1975.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. I've seen plenty of the BLACK plastic tanks but never a white one. Since your post specified "white plastic" as opposed to just "plastic" i thus assumed any color variation might have something to do with very RECENT fuel changes.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Since there seems to be questions about our new production tanks. I can provide some detailed photos of the tanks and what is included. I also believe we have one sample tank that has the side cut out. So I maybe able to provide pictures of that as well. I am out of the office today so could post them tomorrow if there is interest. Also if there is any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I don't quite understand that statement. Is that to imply that over the lastt 5 to 10 years somekind of new WHITE plastic gas tank is is used in production cars now???? Forgive me for i have not worked anything newer than 2001 models.

Never saw a white tank plastic fuel tank in any vehicle either, but the tank on our 35+ year old Simplicity snowblower is some sort of off-white plastic - gas cap, too.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes BH. But i was assuming scope of this topic to be passenger car/ lite truck. Therefore i questioned the reference to "white".

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved