Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd series rear bumper web- painted or not?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Question. Were all 22nd series rear bumpers factory equipped with the web painted to match the body color? I'm seeing different opinions on this.
My Pop had a '48 Touring Sedan in '49 and he said his was. Others on Facebook claim they were all chrome and their vehicles weren't called on it by judges at shows.
Some claim that late in the 22nd series the factory left them all chrome. Others claim Packard advertisements show them painted. Anyone have the skinny on this?

Posted on: 2014/6/12 5:20
 Top  Print 

Re: 22nd series rear bumper web- painted or not?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Custom Eights in the 22d series were not painted, but all the rest were. There are plenty of factory photos on site here to look at.

The only possible exception to this is that toward the end of the 22nd series they changed from a 6-piece front bumper to a one piece. I'm thinking they probably stopped painting the bumpers at that time.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 5:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Thanks! I always appreciate the info.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 6:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Whoa! I think Ross' response was to the front bumper. Unless I'm having a severe memory lapse, no paint on the rear bumper.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 8:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
There are factory photos of 22nd series Packards that have the rear bumper painted. There is also an early factory photo of a Custom that appears to have the rear bumper painted which we know from the '48 Factbook didn't make it into production. The 48 Factbook states for the Customs "Full chrome bumpers" and for all other models "Painted bumper divider bars".

Posted on: 2014/6/12 9:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, it's a dull day that you don't learn something new. Thanks JD. The only 22/23rd series Packards I've owned were Custom 8s.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 9:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Ditto.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The early cars had painted centers, as the photos show, It makes sense visually to me - the chrome edges pick up the line of the stainless lower molding. Later there are are chrome ones (I've seen this on a 1949 22nd series Std 8. The front is the "open mouth" version with all chrome).

I think this was a response to get more bling on the car as tastefully understated was going out of style, and few Cadillacs of the era were accused of it.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 11:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just to clarify--if the front bumper was painted, so was the rear. And, the solid front bumpers were never painted. There is a cool photo in the archives here of a bunch of late 22nd series cars with solid front bumpers on a car hauler leaving the factory lot.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 12:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not to question authorities but sure those aren't '49 23rds that came out in late(Nov)'48?
I see '48's & '49's that are 22s or 22-9s that have paint on bumpers, but no paint on true '49 23rds.
The 22-9s were left overs so likely not changed. The 22's had a slot cut out of the middle in the front also. (a look which I like over the solid 23rd bumpers)
Just me looking at photos/parts/info.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 20:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved