Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor removal 115C
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mypackard
See User information
It appears I have a small oil leak where the distributor enters the block on my 1937 six cylinder and I believe its probably the o ring needs replacemnet. I have brought the engine to TDC on the flywheel and rotor pointing to number one, have removed the bolts on the distributor hold down plate and loosened the distributor clamp. The distributor will only come out about 1/4 to 3/8 inch and then feels like a metal to metal contact and will not come out any further. Is there someting else that has to be aligned to remove the distributor?

Posted on: 2014/6/13 17:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor removal 115C
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have removed the distributor from my 115C numerous times. Loosening the clamp should allow the distributor to be removed. The clamp and octane adjuster can stay attached to the engine. The distributor shaft is slotted and fits into a tang on the oil pump shaft. The cam drives the pump and the pump drives the distributor. The distributor can come out at any position. The distributor can be installed 180 degree off because the tang and slot are not offset. It does not have to be on No. 1 TDC, but this helps keep things straight. Here are some photos of my clamp and octane adjuster, maybe they will help. Note that I use a longer clamp bolt and a sleeve in order to more easily get to the clamp bolt. My distributor does not have an o-ring, but rather a formed plastic type gasket. An o-ring should work as well. Let us know how your job comes out.

(o{}o)

In deleting the duplicate photo, I deleted the photo of the clamp and adjuster on the engine without the distributor. Here it is.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.88 KB)
565_539b7ff49b2cc.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (32.61 KB)
565_539b8007744fb.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (24.27 KB)
565_539b80542cda8.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (23.94 KB)
565_539b838798610.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2014/6/13 17:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is a photo of the distributor assembly. Note the slot in the end of the shaft.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.82 KB)
565_539b8600aa88f.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2014/6/13 18:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mypackard
See User information
Thanks for the info on the distributor, the picture was especially helpful. The problem turned out to be when I had the engine rebuilt whoever put the didtrubutor in must have tapped or driven it in. I had to give the distributor a good hard tug and it partially came out. I ended up pulling the oil pan and found that the small cross bar that fits into the slot at the end of the distributor shaft was stuck in the shaft. I was not able to work it loose but was able to reinsert the distributor and get the sir clip hooked back onto the shaft that has the drive gear on it. Needles to say I was pretty ticked off about the hole deal and may go back to the rebuilder in the fall and have them make it right.
If you ever need to pull the oil pan on a 115C turn the wheels all the way to the right and bring # 3 cylinder up to TDC. Otherwise the counter weight and rod journals one #1 do not give you enough clearance to slid the pan out.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 17:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved