Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Optima 6V battery hold down
Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
I have just purchased an Optima 6V battery for my 21st series Clipper, and I am wondering if others have come up with a neat and simple hold down arrangement in the narrow battery tray / mount?

Posted on: 2014/6/16 21:40
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print 

Re: Optima 6V battery hold down
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't used that battery but notice it has the two bottom extensions. Wonder if a "Z" shaped bracket or maybe something like a Ford type clamp on each end would work. Position the battery toward one end of the tray to use one of the existing clamp holes and then drill another hole in the tray for the other end. If you ever went back to a regular battery the hole would be covered and you would still have the stock original top retainer.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.29 KB)
209_539fb302c29e7.jpg 321X304 px

Posted on: 2014/6/16 22:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lyndon,

While typing this up I see Howard beat me to the punch. For what's it's worth. I made up a couple of clamps from some aluminium(aluminum) bar which holds my Optima to the frame next to the starter in my Coupe. See post #240 of this thread. Posts #278 and #283 also refer.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 22:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
Similar idea for me when I purchased an Optima battery for my 47 custom Super Clipper. I had the battery positioned to the rear end of the battery platform base. I used some aluminum stock to fabricate two hold downs. Contoured the hold downs to follow the rounded contour of the battery.
used a "stack of washers" to bring the new hold downs to the correct position. Used a piece of rubber mat under the battery. For the "unused space" to the front of the battery I fabricated an aluminum "platform about 10 inches long that I use to hide and attach the 6 volt breakers and relays that go to the Hi beams, Low beam and driving lights.
Also two terminal strips to attach the lighting wiring.
"Taint stock" but it works in this situation. Also time for some new "really thick new battery cables".

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids,MN

Posted on: 2014/6/18 9:42
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved