Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hey 4 bbl Carb experts.
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I took apart the correct factory Carter WCFB carb on my '55 Clipper & was surprised by the multitude of parts (Springs, rods, power valves, etc) Gives me new appreciation for the simple Carter AFB.
Tonight I dove into a Rochester 4 Jet (#7007230) as used on the '55 Senior cars and was surprised just how simple it is inside with about 1/2 the parts.
The only major physical difference that I am aware of is that the Senior cars got a 1 inch secondary throttle plate as opposed to the 15/16 on the Junior cars.
It seems like the complexity of the Carter may make for more sophisticated metering or better economy but then why use the simple 4 Jet on the fancy car.
Are there measurable differences in performance or reliability between the two?
In addition, it seems curious that the cars would use 2 different brand distributors(& cap, rotor)but that may be a topic for another thread.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 22:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Hey 4 bbl Carb experts.
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Anyone?

Posted on: 2014/6/18 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The dual vendor policy always seemed to me to be a hedge; if one couldn't supply product the other was probably available.

FWIW unless you are a good mechanic, have it rebuilt by an expert. I had mine done locally by someone who nearly killed it. A better rebuild was important--at least in my case.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 17:16
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dual sourcing (Delco, Autolite, Carter, Rochester) was important for the independents because they didn't have a lot of purchasing leverage on suppliers. During 1956 Packard did once have to switch generators due to supply issues so their purchasing strategy was important in that instance. Their dual-sourcing on ignition dates at least to the early 30s (Twelves were Autolite, Eights were Northeast) and probably goes back even earlier. Delco came into the picture, primarily replacing Northeast, more or less with the introduction of the 1935 cars.

WRT carburetors they were dual-sourcing for decades, early on Packard made their own, later with Johnsons and Detroit Lubricators, later with Stromberg for the Seniors and the juniors using Carter and for a short time Chandler Groves. The Chandler Groves were a poor design and many were deservedly trashed early on, the Strombergs were superb units.

I'm not a carburetor expert but I'd say both the WCFB and 4GC were reliable quality carburetors of good design. I've heard quite a few folks say the castings on the Carters were of a better alloy and more robust, and that the Carters are easier to tweak if you really want to do some custom tuning. I've had both, never really gave much thought to it, they both did what they were intended to do without problems.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. & I don't know if I'm a good mechanic. "But I'm an excellent driver, Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway every Saturday..."

Posted on: 2014/6/18 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, GM did the same thing. The Cadillac, Buick Oldsmobile and Pontiac got the Rochester 4Jet. The Chevrolet got the Carter WCFB.

Studebaker used Stromberg 2bbls through '64 and Carter 4-bbls.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/6/18 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I have had Chandler Groves fitted on my 38 Sixes and have removed them as the "economiser" valve was a total misnomer.... it was a uncontrollable leak valve.....They were however a very handsome looking carburettor with an aviation heritage. Reminds me somewhat of my 66 Shadow which is an absolutely fabulous hand built automobile, wonderful to drive when it is fettled, but a prime example of putting fashion before practical engineering. PT

Posted on: 2014/6/19 3:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I am no expert but I can give some tips on the 4GC as I had issues with the one on the 55 clipper custom. Rebuilding that carb may seem like a simple undertaking. In earlier days an overnite in the carb acid and new seals etc would get you rolling down the road. Now the acid is an enviro issue and without a proper cleaning results may be less than the desired. A safety issue may also arise with floats. These carbs have dual floats mounted in pairs on a wishbone arm. I could not find new floats so i repaired one of the secondary floats with the solder technique. Well it worked great for a few months then the other sec float developed a leak and due to the design, the uneven cocking hung the secondary needle open and caused fuel overflow out the vent and a fire hazard. The secondary floats were very thin due to stagnant fuel in the bowl not being used unless your really in the throttle. I would be afraid of used or even NOS floats and unless you can get brand new asem (2 floats on the armature) even repairs may cause issues as these need to rise perfectly level so as not to get Hung up. I have the orig on the bench and an adaptor plate and a modern holley or demon is very tunable and she runs fantastic. very clean, never loads up and never leaks down, no cyl wash, no oil dilution. She can sit 4 or 5 weeks- 3 pumps and fires up before the motor makes 2 ful revs.Anyone have a lead for 4GC carb float asems new on the arm?

Posted on: 2014/6/19 20:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I believe Daytona has new floats for the 4gc

Posted on: 2014/6/19 20:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i thought ford has the floats, look in parts ref

Posted on: 2014/6/19 21:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved