Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Door hinges adjustment to fit opening correctly 1948 Packard 22nd Series 4 door Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
The doors on my car are not shutting into the openings correctly and they also don't catch into the door rotor latches properly.

The car did not have any rubbers when I bought her
but the doors fitted better than they do now - I have new Steele rubbers that go around the door periphery but there is not any room for them to be fitted.

I have searched the site to try to find the answer as I'm sure it must be there somewhere but to no avail !

Any help would be appreciated - sounds like a job for Big Kev ?

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (77.55 KB)
1329_53a3cad0653a5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (84.93 KB)
1329_53a3ccb400f1a.jpg 986X740 px

jpg  (72.44 KB)
1329_53a3ccd9e699b.jpg 986X740 px

Posted on: 2014/6/20 0:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Door hinges adjustment to fit opening correctly 1948 Packard 22nd Series 4 door Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Michael
got a door problem also, yours might be adjustment of post on body compare to other side or door that works better. Are your margins around door uniform when closed? Is 1/4 inch margin a factory standard (comments please) I have a door that is 3/8 inch on front and 1/8 on back and cannot get it to move forward 1/8th. (2 door convertible) the 3/8 verticle margin is uniform so no sag. I am ready to increase hole in hinge 1/8th so I can move it forward and get my desired 1/4 inch margin front and back. I am wondering if the door or hinges are original on this car.
Ken

Posted on: 2014/6/20 8:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Door hinges adjustment to fit opening correctly 1948 Packard 22nd Series 4 door Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can sympathize with the problem on the 48. My 56 has a similar situation with Steele weatherstrip. Not sure if the hardness is greater than original or maybe the shape or size is slightly different but my doors also want to stick out a bit.

About the only factory adjustment that might be able to help is the position of the strikers on door post. Are yours adjusted all the way in or can you loosen the large screws and slide them in a bit farther. If there is an additional single smaller sheet metal screw directly into the post metal, that might have to be removed and then redrilled after the striker has been moved. It may help a bit but in moving them I also found you may have to compromise between having to slam the door and having it stick out.

On the convertible, I am curious how the hood and front end fits. The large gap at the front of door sounds as if the problem is with positioning of the front clip rather than the hinges.

Posted on: 2014/6/20 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Any warpage?

Similar on my car but doors seem slightly warped. Have a hard time not asking my youngest (6'7" 232 lbs) to grip here and pull until I say stop.....

Posted on: 2014/6/20 23:05
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Ken Thanks for the comments - as you may see from my photos the main problem on my car is the appearance when the doors are closed - they stick out at the bottom - they are reluctant to close too.

I have now found the "Approved Packard Service Manual Section IV BODY" First Edn.14M - 12.48 which came with the car and I'd forgotten about after 5 years of restoring this car - I'll read this and come back.

Michael

Posted on: 2014/6/21 10:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks HH56 - Is that Big Kev ?

The weather strips are as you say possibly too big (thick ?) but my immediate problem is that the doors are not straight in the openings - have found a Service manual and am reading that as it has a section on door alignment - see my dispatch to Ken on this topic. Will get back to you as soon as time permits. As you suggest maybe the striker plates need to be moved as well.

Michael

Posted on: 2014/6/21 10:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Patgreen

No there's no warping they are pretty straight. Sure that my problem lies in the hinges and their adjustment and possibly as HH56 says in the striker plates too. See my note to Ken.

Michael

Posted on: 2014/6/21 11:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi All

Here are the two pages of the Manual I told you about - I'll now try to do the adjustments as suggested and will let you all know the outcome - I have no help at the moment and the car is remote from my home and in a restricted storage area so even when I get the time I have problems so may be some time before my next submission on the topic.

Thanks to you all for your input - any more comments etc. most welcome - can't get to my car but I CAN get to my computer.

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (168.69 KB)
1329_53a5b0c12602b.jpg 1268X951 px

jpg  (147.57 KB)
1329_53a5b14a57197.jpg 1280X930 px

Posted on: 2014/6/21 11:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
To my old and fuzzy eyes the middle pic shows a warped door. I'll be very interested to see the solution and how you got there. Both my fronts stick out, particularly towards the bottom at the B pillar yet seem fine up top and in front. Can't visualize a striker adjustment doing the trick.

Please remember to post your results!

Posted on: 2014/6/22 16:47
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Just going through old files and found that Ozstatman in a long blog in Sept.2013 mentioned "body pads" which he was trying on his pre-war car to align the doors correctly - were these pads also available for the post war cars I.E mine which is a 1948 ?

Any help appreciated Michael

Posted on: 2014/7/1 3:55
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved