Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 151

RCJ56, Don Shields, Todd W. White, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 and 56 Pwr Window 4-switch different!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's a difference between 1955 and 1956 cars that I'll bet NO ONE has ever discovered.

The internals of the 4-switch for the front D-side power windows are internally different and NOT interchangeable between the two. So what difference does this make? Only if one is trying to scavenge parts from one to fix the other.

Externally, they are the same and functionally they are the same, but because of the internal differences they fail in different ways.

So, there ya go.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/25 19:58
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 and 56 Pwr Window 4-switch different!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't know that. Parts book only has the one number for both years so wonder when the change was made. Do you have photos or can you describe the differences?

I only have one drivers switch to look at so can't compare to anything. Took one section of the switch apart and it looks like I remember -- the little tongue going between two flatish spring contact pieces with the flimsy contact buttons on either side of the tongue that burn up when making the connection.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Wouldn't the change from Positive to Negative ground in 56 make a difference?

Posted on: 2014/6/25 21:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As there is only one part number for both years, I believe they are the same. Craig may have gotten a switch from a GM car which is different but looks the same. As the part numbers are the same for 55 and 56, I'll take Packard's word for it.
Positive or negative ground is immaterial.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The switches internally are very similar, but not interchangeable. Sorry, no pics as I was more interested in making a good switch at the time. Obviously, one switch (the one I replaced) came out of my 55 Pat, the other I have no idea, but looked identical externally.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/26 1:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved