Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2122 Clipper ID question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on the fact that 2122-4075 had engine# F511829, I'd say your number is reasonably in sequence.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If not the original engine block, then one produced near when your Clipper was made. Probably the original engine.

As Howard mentioned above, it was a common practice to use the engine number to register vehicles back in the day. What number is on your title?

There is also a casting date on the block, down low just above the oil pan at the rear of the engine, but I forget which side. It should be easier to find than the stamped engine number.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/24 10:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
Hmmmm....Yeah about that title thing. The woman I bought it from hadn't seen the title in 25 years as wasn't to clear if it ever had one. I did find a couple of plates in the car, one from '75 and the other from '80. If they belong to that care I have no idea. For the moment I have a bill of sale.

Going to have to tackle DMV on that one. I should tell you guys the story of trying to title my Triumph Spitfire sometime.

As Always thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 16:47
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This could get complicated.

My 115C was an Oklahoma car, delivered by Oklahoma City Packard on December 24, 1936 (someone got themselves a very nice Christmas present). I believe the Packard spent its life in that state until 1990. The car was registered with the engine number and this number was used when the car was registered in New Mexico and later in Texas.

If your Packard was an Oklahoma car, there was a good chance it was registered with the engine number. I have learned that only a few states used the engine number for registration purposes and the others used the vehicle identification number. California was one of the states using the engine number and it seems as if Oklahoma did also.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/24 22:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
The lady was pretty sure the car came from California. Maybe or maybe not registered in OK. My Spitfire was sold in CA then spent most of it's life in NC registered every year and running.

Got it to OK and CA had added the make year '69 to the front of the commission number on the title. I go to register it and the guy can't see the 69 on the commission plate. NO GO! Had to jump the a bunch of hoops including trying to get CA to send me a letter stating that the had destroyed those old records. Which they had. Never got a letter. OK gave me a tag but still working on a title.

What's the worst that could happen? Car is titled to someone in CA who died in like 1972. We shall see.

How did you discover where and when your car was delivered?

Posted on: 2014/7/26 10:17
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are relying on anything from Calif DMV, don't hold your breath. They have got to be one of the most aggravating bunches to deal with. I won't go into the hassles with them on my first Packard which had not been registered for some years before I got it but it was painful -- and I even had a title and all the supporting paperwork. I recently found I made the mistake a few years ago of dropping my 47 into non op status. Now that I'm working on the car and it is almost ready to drive, went to reregister this last time. it was BS all over again and took quite some time and several phone calls and a couple of letters. (Calif doesn't want registration handled at local offices -- all mail or internet). It took almost two months to finally get that sorted out.

How did you discover where and when your car was delivered?

Unless you are extremely fortunate and your car was in a batch of old dealer records an individual has managed to collect, expect you will be out of luck. The selling dealer was supposed to stamp his name, the date sold and city on the patent plate in 47. Some did, some didn't but you said your plate was almost nothing but a blank piece of metal now so any info that might have been there is gone.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
The only thing left on my plate are what was stamped in but it's only the ID number. No other stampings. Guess I'm SOL.

Thank you very much for the information!

Posted on: 2014/7/26 11:04
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

luisrocha
See User information
That means 2122 series?
The engine of 2122 series was 356 with 8 cylinders?
Thank you

Attach file:

png  2122.png (814.53 KB)
87023_603135d547b79.png 1565X445 px

Posted on: 2021/2/20 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
2122 is a 21st series 47 model year 6 passenger sedan and it does have the 356 engine. It is built on the 2106 chassis. The 4932 is the sequence number and means that car was approximately the 2932 car built in that series since the starting sequence number was 2001. I say approximately because that tag you show is commonly referred to as the Briggs tag as it was identification assigned by Briggs when they built the body. The official Packard vehicle number was assigned when the car started down the production line and is on the patent plate screwed to the cowl in front of the driver. It can differ by a few from the number on the Briggs tag since bodies did not necessarily go on the line in the order they were received from Briggs. The engine number will start with an F if it is the original engine and that number is found stamped on a smoothed surface on the drivers side of the block approximately in the middle around the distributor area and just below the head.

Here is the official 21st series ID info which is taken from the Body I section of the 41-7 Clipper parts book.

Attach file:

jpg  clipper ID.jpg (166.48 KB)
209_603140aad1d6a.jpg 1820X1016 px

Posted on: 2021/2/20 11:59
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Info:

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 257.jpg (84.83 KB)
1_60314421db437.jpg 1920X943 px

jpg  ScreenShot 258.jpg (98.22 KB)
1_60314428a854a.jpg 1920X1366 px

Posted on: 2021/2/20 12:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved