Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Mark Graber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 Detroit Lubricator Model 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Greetings All,

Does anyone know of a source for diagrams and instructions on adjusting the Model 51 Carb? I'm getting a "flat" spot when I accelerate where the engine starts to lose power.

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/2 15:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 Detroit Lubricator Model 51
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you tried the "search" function? I don't have a lot on the DL51 but I did post some original service information here a while back in response to a similar inquiry, and as I recall there was additional information posted by someone else.

And although they will no longer rebuild them (new ones are now available), you might talk to Daytona Parts who did rebuild them for years and they are quite knowledgeable about them. From the little first-hand experience, check the accelerator pump check valve, but also suspect would be warped vanes. Repro vanes were available for some time from (now deceased) Henry Yeska but I also heard comments that their quality was poor. There also is a man who does rebuilt the DL-51s, John Hardgrove. I understand the cost of a rebuild is about $1500+, no personal experience with him or his work.

Attach file:

jpg  (186.59 KB)
177_53dd6cd4d5774.jpg 1262X1271 px

Posted on: 2014/8/2 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2014/8/3 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks for the info,

Gene

Posted on: 2014/8/3 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Just posting for future reference this bit from an AACA forum regarding the DL-51 aspirator and its infamous wafer:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/107702-replacing-air-valve-stem-spring-on-detroit-lubricator-model-51/?tab=comments#comment-469558

If one WISHES to remove the aspirator valve spring, it does require a special tool that has been out of production for about 77 years. However, one may be fabricated:

(A) measure the inside diameter of the threaded area where resides the gland fitting for the adjustment screw.

(B) subtract 0.010 inch, and turn a piece of steel approximately 4 inches long in your lathe to this dimension.

? CAREFULLY measure the center to center distance of the two small holes in the bottom of the aspirator valve AND the diameter of these holes. Subtract 0.002 inch from the diameter

(D) Drill corresponding holes of the 0.002 inch diameter in the end of the 4 inch steel bar.

(E) Insert steel pins of the proper diameter in the two holes.

Tool is finished. Clamp the free end of the tool in a good vise on your workbench. Now set the carburetor bowl assembly on the tool (it doubles as a holding fixture for the bowl, and carefully rotate the top of the aspirator valve until the pins catch in the the holes. Now using an open end wrench, loosen BUT DO NOT REMOVE the aspirator valve.

Place the bowl with the loosened aspirator valve in a large pan (a clean oil drain pan works well). Now carefully remove the 2 halves of the aspirator valve, the aspirator spring, AND THE TINY WAFER MAIN JET SANDWICHED BETWEEN THE TWO HALVES! Lose the jet, and the carb won't work.

I would give you the dimensions, but "Detroit Lubricator" and "standard sizes" is an oxymoron. I have made several different tools for our own use. Going from memory, Packard used more than 30 different Detroit Lubriactor Carburetors.

The need for this wafer has been verified by David McCredie who discovered the relevant section in a re-print publication of 7-12th Series Packard Service Letters. (BTW, A person need not make the tool above-described as David Frear of Packard Carburetors sells the tool.)

Attach file:

jpg  (282.60 KB)
156395_5d0fd0611fdc0.jpg 1367X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/6/23 14:18
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved