Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 178

Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 356 with Stromberg AAV-26 mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
For those who recall my previous threads on starting problems, finally resolved half of the problem, poor ground between point base and distributor base plate the other being massive fuel over feeding using subject carburetor. Have been have advised to go to a Carter as they also have had over feeding with Stromberg carburetors of this era. Feel I have an excellent under standing of this model Stromberg and have been unable to resolve problem. Even went so far as to start engine with fuel line plugged and air horn removed so I could observe what was going on with fuel level, (I know this is dangerous and one has to be careful and prepared in case of flair up). First, manually filled carburetor to inspection plug. Let set for and while to be sure there was not a leak, level stayed consistent. Even removed economize valve and installed a plug. Both the idle jet and main jet air bleeds are clear so no siphoning. Main jet ID's are even slightly below spec. at .048". Accelerator pump circuit works properly. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to determine source of massive fuel feed?

Posted on: 2014/8/13 13:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 356 with Stromberg AAV-26 mystery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have been have advised to go to a Carter as they also have had over feeding with Stromberg carburetors of this era.

I can't say I've ever experienced that, much less heard that it was an issue. Those Strombergs are really fine caburetors; I'm not aware of any particular weaknesses much less chronic ones. If you remain stumped you might call Daytona Parts or the Carb. Doctor and ask them.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I agree.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 14:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
IMHO you should stick with the OEM Stromberg and if you have problems, then send it to Daytona as Owen suggested.

I have that Stromberg carb on my 1941 160 Convertible Sedan and when I restored the car about 10 years ago I sent the carb to Daytona and it came back looking like a piece of jewelry. About a year later I was getting a massive fuel feed and it took me a while to figure it out - actually my brother figured it out. We had the carb apart and he noticed that the brass float seemed a little heavy. So he put a heat gun to it and saw some vapor coming off the surface. Seems the float may have been in the dip tank a little to long and got a little porous in a small spot and was now 1/4 filled with gasoline. With some modest heat we were able to drain the float and dry it our. Rather than wait and hunt for a new float bowl we just "tinned" it with a lick of solder. Has been fine ever since. How airtight is your float?

Posted on: 2014/8/13 15:41
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Sent email to Tim at Daytona Carburetor. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/14 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know what kind of fuel pump is usedon that car if any but need to check fuel pump pressure. If excessive pressure from the pump then that can cause flooding.
WHEN does the flooding occur??? If only when hot thenit is due to the fuel vapourizing aand that is a common problem with modern day fuels and not withthe carb itself.
Also note that the float can be tested for leakage simply by shaking it and listen for fuel sloshing inside of it.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 20:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved