Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

Geocap, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

34 Twelve limo on eBay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That 1934 Twelve style #735 on eBay is an interesting survivor and worth studying the pictures for details. It appears complete and relatively unmolested, though the asking $ is perhaps twice what it should bring. Of particular interest to me was that it had wooden artillery wheels, available thru 1936 but very rarely seen. Also note that it was built by Packard-Canada rather than Detroit. Vestiges of the original pinstriping are worth noting as may restorers of 34 cars seem to get it wrong. Though it is correct for this car, one would have expected real wood window garnish mouldings rather than the wood-grained metal ones such as were used on the Eights and Super Eights (though the shape is different for the 12). There are quite a few original and unmolested 1934 Packards in far better state of preservation than this one, but still an worthwhile car. Here's hoping it doesn't get hot-rodded.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 8:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 34 Twelve limo on eBay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2008/9/2 9:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If that's wood grained metal, it's the most realistic burl grain I've ever seen. I would have taken it for the 'Real McCoy'.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

Why do you think the molding is metal? It certainly looks like wood to me. In the pictures here:

http://www.platinumclassics.com/Cars/1934_Packard_12/1934_packard.htm

I can see places where the varnish has worn off and it looks like wood underneath.

Tom

Posted on: 2008/9/2 11:27
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe it's metal because that's what the other two 1934 Twelve limos I'm familiar with have, and what you see where the graining has worn off is the base primer, kind of a chamois color. There may be some real wood in the divider window area, I'm not certain of that; the only genuine wood I've seen in these are the ash tray surrounds.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Well Folks,
It is all you say it is! (Including overpriced). BUT then maybe one this pristine is rarer than a restoration?

Wood versus Wood-grain?
I tend to see some wood like JD does.
Then maybe could it be a mixture of both wood and wood-grain??

Did Custom Builders add wood frames and trim to their work while the factory portions were metal frames??? Don't know, just asking.

WOOD? Look at the picture of the DOOR Frame marked "Original Paint". About 2/3 down on the right side is that 'nick' spot a wood splinter starting from an impact injury? Metal DON'T DO DAT.

Other parts do look wood-grained. Could it be a mixture of both???

Owen-D(ave), maybe I should just buy it for you for all your back wages of time spent on P-Info website. then you could give us all the low-down. [I only need 59.2 years more of my annual Packard budget to close the deal. i will be 122 yr old then. How about you Owen?

Posted on: 2008/9/2 12:59
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By all means, buy it for me! And I don't consider it pristine at all, there are so many original cars that are in better condition, and all too many of these will probably be restored when they change hands. Kind of a shame. But still it's a survivor with a story to tell.

I'm just short of 70 years, bought my first Packard at 18.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 14:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Dave

Wish I had started as early as you did. I have had my Clipper for less than a year. It has been a steep learning curve. BUT it is running this week! After consult with my local mechanic, whose dad was a Packard Mechanic. His highest compliment of the day on Friday went, "Dan we're going to make a mechanic out of you yet."

I was teasing you about your 'backpay' for PInfo time.
And I know this has got to hurt, (What a rottin' trick for a guy not from Jersey) BUT I was also teasing about 'buying' the Limo for you.
OF Course, IF I had the resources .....

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/2 15:11
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I'm pretty proud of the original "wood graining" on my '41 Clipper. Its in great shape notwithstanding some "left arm wear" on the drivers window. I'm not touching it...nice pitina I guess!
Denny

Attach file:

jpg  (34.06 KB)
564_48bdabf3f2f7d.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (33.75 KB)
564_48bdac23646f1.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2008/9/2 16:14
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved