Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packard Blue Crossreference?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
I am restoring a 1946 Packard Custom Super 8 7 Passenger and want it to be Packard Blue. I have the original color chip document from 1946 but Dupont no longer has the number in their system. The Dupont Color Library has scanned their color chip and provided a formula. But my paint shop doesn't use Dupont.

The painter said he'd like the number of a more modern color that is very close to the original--then he can crossreference it to the formula used by his supplier.

Does anyone know of a more modern blue that is virtually the same as the 1946 Packard Blue. By the way, this blue is very dark, not as light as some of the "Packard Blues" that I've seen on 1930s Packards.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/9/2 11:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Blue Crossreference?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure enough, Packard Blue did vary a bit over the years. You might try matching your chip with the Sikkens matching system; you'll find hundreds if not a thousand blues in the form of a circle which you place over your sample and head for good lighting. If you find a match the Sikkens book will give you the modern useages.

But I'd think a paint supplier that really wanted your business could come up with a x-reference to PPG or whatever. Maybe try another paint supplier?

Posted on: 2008/9/2 11:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I know that a professional paint dealer can come up with a PPG paint. Or custom mix it from PPG numbers. Good professional paint dealers will have books with data, dating back at least to the late forties if not earlier. Don't skimp, go to a paint supply shop that good body shops use. The paint is expensive, but well worth the money. If they do care they can also guide you to the proper primer to use etc. Don't use the cheapest paint or primer. Ten to fifteen years from now you will be glad you spent the couple hundred more.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 18:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
My PPG dealer had no ay to mix the color I'm thinking about for my 49 conv. I tried NAPA where I buy quite a few of my parts. They said they had mixing formulas for the entire line for 48 - 50. I would expect that they would also have formulas for the 47s. The Dupont code for the maroon is RS468.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 21:00
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Would anyone be interested in me putting together a database so we can store the paint code x-refs as we find them?

This would be similar to the parts X-ref where users can add the paint codes when they find them.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 21:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Sounds good to me. I'll see how many other codes I can get for you.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 22:03
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you want to send me the following information then I will pre-populate the database with them to get it started, and to act as the seed for others to add more too it.

Year ( 1954 )
Packard Color Name ( Metalli-Chrome Bikini Blue )
Packard Paint Scheme Code ( 'H' )
Modern Paint Manufacturer ( Dupont, PPG, Matrix, etc )
Modern Paint Code

I think that is all the information that anyone would need to cross-reference it.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 22:07
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok I got the Paint Code database built. Coded it all up in less than 60 minutes!

You will see the "Packard Paint X-Ref" listed on the main menu on the left of the screen.

There is a link under table where folks can add their own listings to the database. Please try to make sure any Paint X-Ref that you folks add is correct and is complete. I would hate for someone to order paint that was incorrect because of a typo or someones guess at the right color. (Hence disclaimer at the bottom of that page)

Thanks and enjoy! Feedback appreciated!

49Packard: I added the 1949 Maroon color that you referenced earlier. Please double check that I got it all correct. I was assuming that you were referencing the 1949 Maroon with the dupont paint code. If not let me know and I can make the change.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 23:56
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Any good paint company can furnish a formula to mix practically any paint color back to the 1920s.

If the paint store does not have the formula in their database all they have to do is send the code number or name and year and make of vehicle to the "head office". They will get back a formula within 24 hours. They can then mix up all the paint you want same as any other paint.

DO NOT try to use a more "modern" color that the painter just happens to have the formula for. This is a cop out. The car will just look phony and wrong. If the painter cannot get the right paint, find another painter. With the cost of a paint job today you do not want to be looking at a paint job you regret for the next 10 years. Make them do it right. It doesn't cost a cent more.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 14:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Incidentally even if you have an old formula card it won't do any good. They change the paint's basic makeup every few years and must reformulate all their colors. So do request a new formula from the paint manufacturer.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 14:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved