Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Blue Crossreference?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not all paint stores are created equal. Some dont want to do the extra work if it's not available at their fingertips. So it's good to have this information available when walking into the paint store to start with.

I made a change to the database, so you now add either a modern paint code if it's an exact match to a packard color, or a modern paint formula for the matching packard color.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 17:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information.

What I've found is what you (collectively) have said. Dupont does not have 1946 "Packard Blue" mixing instruction for their current paint lines. Their Color Library person scanned a paint chip and sent my local Dupont dealer instructions based on the scan. The resulting paint is unbelievably black, at least on a small panel. My body shop is going to spray it on a larger panel this weekend but they (and I) are doubtful it will be recognizable as a blue.

The body shop asked me to go to the PPG dealer who gave me a stack of color books. Out of 1000s of colors I chose two of the darkest blues, a VW blue and a Nissan blue, both solid non-metallic. My body shop sprayed those today but they are not dark enough. So, it looks like I'm going to need to go custom with the color, maybe approximating the 1946 Dupont "Coral Blue." At least it looks like blue on the paint chip, unlike the "Packard Blue" chip. The body shop will have samples of all of them this Monday.

44 years ago I had a 1946 Packard that was "Packard Blue" and I remember the color, more or less. The problem is that that most of the Packards that are blue nowadays have been repainted so it is really difficult to come up with an example of the exact color, again because the paint chip in my Dupont folder looks virtually black.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

Posted on: 2008/9/4 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I would try a different brand of paint. I can't believe nobody has that color in their archives.

Was your car originally that color? If you could find a specimen they should be able to match to that.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 22:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Have you checked out AutoColorLibrary online?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

I don't know why they don't have chip sets for all years and suppliers, but they do have 'em for Packard up through 1948. Try a lookup for 1946 Packard, and you'll find Packard Blue in a Ditzler set as their DAL-10408. Also, there's a note on the back of the page for 1946-47 models that this color was used on 7-pass. sedans and limos only.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
FWIW, the Packard Blue chip on my '41 Acme Paint sheet appears black until it's held in direct sunlight. Only then does the blue become evident. It's really subtle. Can't speak for earlier, or later years.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Can't speak for other years. But, my 1940 180 limo is a dark blue. Can't remember if it is Packard Blue or not. But I do remember it looking almost black on the paint chip. Yes when painted on the car it is a dark blue in daylight and looks black at night in the dark. After seeing Fred Mauck's 180 limo in original Wilshire Green I knew I didn't just want a black car. But I did want it formal looking, hence dark blue in day and black in the evening for formal events.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 11:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If any one has any paint codes or formulas for any of the Packard colors, please feel free to post them here, add them to the Paint X-ref, or email me directly to me. This is probably one of the most asked questions people have when they are refinishing their cars, so it would be nice to be able to be able to get as many of the modern paint codes/fomulas compiled for future use.

I checked with a couple different paint supply shops, and also a body shop that does lots of custom and restoration, and none of them could find a modern cross over list of paint codes or formulas to the original Packard colors from PPG, Dupont, etc. Big 3 yes, AMC yes, late Studebaker yes, Packard, and other older orphan makes, no. So if anyone has such a list, then I think it would be a great piece of content to share with the website.

I was told by the restoration shop that they usually have to color match it to a chip, and then go from there. As the paint systems, and chemical make-ups have changed over the years, so none of the old codes or formulas cross-over. As such the manufactures dont so back and create cross-overs for cars that are 50 years old as the paint systems change. One example would be the new water-borne paints for base coats that are going to be required in Calif start 1/1/09. They are still scrambling to try to formulate matches for all the current OEM colors before the crossover.

My car is a good example, there was not a single place on the car, even under hidden areas, trim, weather stripping where the paint did not oxidize. Not sure if this was something unique to the shade or type of paint. But serves as a good lesson that time, heat, and the elements can oxidize paint that never sees the sun. So dont always rely on that 50 year old original paint as being the correct shade just beacuse it was under a fender, in a door jam, or under some trim.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2008/9/6 2:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
I may have archived some color codes for the database. Gotta dig tomorrow. There are indeed 2 modernistic formulas that duplicate Packard Blue. One was a 70s Mercury color and the other an 80 Chrysler color called Nightwatch Blue (don't remember the Mercury color name). Extremely dark, almost black, best if done in lacquer then spray out a panel. Take that panel back for a custom mix for today's base/clears or single stage paints. Current mixing bases are different enough to not allow a true effect when compared to old recipies.

The biggest trick is pretty obvious to me. One of my secrets though not alone or original. Clue? The way Packard applied the color (most of their colors).

Posted on: 2008/9/6 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"My car is a good example, there was not a single place on the car, even under hidden areas, trim, weather stripping where the paint did not oxidize. Not sure if this was something unique to the shade or type of paint. But serves as a good lesson that time, heat, and the elements can oxidize paint that never sees the sun. So dont always rely on that 50 year old original paint as being the correct shade just beacuse it was under a fender, in a door jam, or under some trim."

You have to polish it up. Take the best freshest sample you can find, in the glove box door is good if it is the right color. Or someplace that is the original paint with the least fading.

Then polish it with fine rubbing compound or cleaner. This takes off the oxidised surface and exposes new paint. You can see the old dead paint on the rag. This fresh surface will be as close as you can get to the original color.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 11:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does anyone have a Dupont SpectraMaster Chip Book? If so a contact at Dupont matched 1954 Packard Bikini Blue up to SpectraMaster color BM520. Just curious what the formula is so I can add it to the database.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 20:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved