Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 223

SteveP516, Bingo, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What kind of Seal retainer is this?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Hi all,

Just got the RRear hub off. And, I might add it only took me 9 major whacks with a 4# hammer. Since I knew I had to REALLY lean into it, it happened faster.

Anyhow, I've included pic of the components immediately after I took the drum off. The Seal Retainer looks nothing like the one I have to replace it, plus looks nothing like the one that came off the LRear. The Lrear was also different.

I'm guessing they're from other models. Anybody have any idea?

Chuck in AZ
52 Packard 300

Attach file:

jpg  (35.94 KB)
194_48c1be8aa38ec.jpg 515X578 px

Posted on: 2008/9/5 18:20
 Top  Print   

Re: What kind of Seal retainer is this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Hi, What you have pictured looks correct. It's the same as on my 1951 300. Not sure what you mean by the seal retainer. The outer seal is under the stamped metal piece ( or maybe behind the backing plate )that will come off when you remove the 4 bolts that hold everything together. To change the inner seal, which is probably more important, you will have to remove the break backing plate and pull the axel out. I used a gear puller with a knocker on the handle that is part of the puller. The bearing pulls out with the axel. The axel bearing should be greased with a good quality bearing grease the same way you grease front wheel bearings. An incorrect preconceived idea I always had was that the differential gear lube oiled the bearings as well as the rear end gears. Wrong.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 21:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
The Seal retainer is the part that the seal is pressed into. I am referring to the outer seal of course. When I get this one cleaned up, I will post a picture of the 2 different types of seal retainers I've come across on the rear. Plus a pic of the seal that I'm told is proper for my year Packard. Which I have already purchased.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I have attached pictures of the correct seals. The stamped metal piece just under the 4 nuts and outboard of the backing plate goes back on and is not part of the seal or the retainer. I forget the nomenclature for that part but what it does is catch any grease or differential fluid that leaks past the seals and directs it thru the backing plate so it runs down the back of the backing plate instead of on the breaks.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.22 KB)
738_48c2d3fa459e9.jpg 592X400 px

jpg  (25.77 KB)
738_48c2d46cec4c2.jpg 592X400 px

Posted on: 2008/9/6 14:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Here goes.......

Apparently the image I sent of my Right Rear brake components is somewhat how they should be!

In the picture I've included -

Item A is a Bearing, Oil Guard per the Packard Parts manual. This Item A was on my LRear wheel with Item D pressed into the back of it. There was no Item C on my LRear wheel, and there should've been one.

Now, Item B was on my RRear wheel and did have Item C behind it separated by a Oil Guard gasket. This is correct per the Packard Parts Manual.

Through learning this, my Packard will now have the correct seals and Bearing Guards as per the manual. The only thing, is that I should've had the same Bearing Oil Guard on both wheels.

Thanks to all for your input! :)

Learn something new everyday on this car!

Attach file:

jpg  (28.89 KB)
194_48c45957d1323.jpg 1000X483 px

Posted on: 2008/9/7 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Yea, Parts B & C are correct. The other one ( A & D ) may be from an earlier Year.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Looking at the holes on the bottom of part A I suspect that A & D are aftermarket parts. Made to fit a variety of models.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 20:25
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Boro, Can I ask where the tail pipe on your 300 comes out the back of the car. Does the pipe run close to the gas tank and exit the rear to the left of the the right bumper guard. I had all that replaced at a muffler shop a couple of years ago and was never sure they ran the pipe in the correct location. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/9/8 23:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved