Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What should it cost to have all of the chrome re-chromed?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
The chrome on my 52 200 needs redone. For most part it is still intact, just dulled through the years! The only places I see that will need additional work are one of the headlight bezels and one of the bumper guards-chrome had disappeared and rust is showing. We are in Omaha, Nebraska. There are several good plating companies here.

We are talking about both bumpers, the grille, hood ornament, headlight bezels, trunk ornament, and the 6 decorations on the rear fender whatever they are called-3 on each side.
I may try to get this done over the winter-just need to schedule finances, Thanks, Tracy.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 7:04
 Top  Print 

Re: What should it cost to have all of the chrome re-chromed?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Chrome platers come in a full range of capabilities and quality of work, from slap-dash to those capable of superb repair where needed, quality preparation, and great plating and of course costs will vary accordingly. I'm not familiar with general costs in your area but if you were to send that work to a plater who does top-notch work for cars competing for national awards I'd think budgeting $4000 would be a good shot-in-the-dark, low-end estimate. The grille will be the most significant component of that cost; not only is it die-cast which may require some repair, it also requires the best of skill handling and in the surface preparation. I wouldn't be surprised that some platers would not accept the job.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a 52 are not your decorations or "louvers" on the rear fenders slightly pointed and somewhat triangular shaped? The 51 pieces with the more rounded fronts were chromed diecast but I thought the pieces used on the 52 -53s were supposed to be thinner like the long molding and of the same stamped stainless steel.

Not quite the same pieces you are doing but comparable sized items are on a 47. For a general reference point, within the last year I had door & trunk handles and tail & license light bezels done. Each piece was in the $70-80 range. The chrome vent window frames and straight separator post between the glass worked out to about $125 per door. Those being California prices I would hope yours come in less.

As O_D mentioned, the single large grill piece is the killer. I remember someone on the forum saying he was quoted around 1k for just the outer grill shell not including any of the smaller parts. It is kind of a catch situation. A lot of the shops that will do pot metal can't tackle a piece that large and the bumper places with the large tanks won't touch pot metal.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just as a point of comparison, the last major item I had rechromed was the rear bumper for my 56 Caribbean, and that was a few years ago. There were a two dents in the bumper bar, quite a few in each of the bumper guards/license plate supports, and no rust but some road scuffing in each of the exhaust port sections. Also included were the two back seat ashtrays and the windshield surround trim. I had the work done by a plater who does a large amount of work for restoration shops for Pebble Beach and other concours. Prices in the Northeast (and probably CA a well) are perhaps the highest in the country, cost was just over $2000 for the lot. The workmanship was impeccable.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 9:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
The previous owner of my 2262 had the cormorant (base, wings, and body), license plate light bezel, and tail light bezels done for $450. I installed them and the work is very good.

The estimate of $80 to $90 on door handles is probably close. Right now I have a bid on an NOS pair for my car on Ebay. Although they are nice, I am limiting the bid to $60 each. Any more would be too close to what I can have them rechromed for.

Timing the service might be a consideration. Right now everyone is bringing in all the "winter" jobs. Shops are inundated with chrome, mechanical, and cosmetic off season work. I think some people use the winter jobs for free heated storage sometimes.

It would be better to take the parts to the plater in June or July. They may be hungrier and less pressed.

On the financial side, have cash in hand. It can be the universal lubricant for speedy work and good pricing. A little over a decade ago I had some Lincoln bumper chroming done and had a helper drop the work off at the chrome shop. He was told to bring the parts back if the estimate exceeded a fixed amount. The initial quote was about $1600. That was OK and he left them. They were completed in a timely manner and I asked for the final price. He said something like $1200. I told him I was sending a guy with cash to pick them up, was there a "green" discount? "Sure send him with $900." No checks, no plastic, the Presidents get the job done every time.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/9/26 10:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I got a quote of almost $4000 to rechrome every outer part of the car from the bumpers to the emblems as well as polish and get any dings out of the stainless.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 11:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Here is what my guy in Indiana charges for a 51-52 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (12.08 KB)
17226_5425ca68a9221.jpg 496X124 px

Posted on: 2014/9/26 15:19
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

oregonstan wrote:
I got a quote of almost $4000 to rechrome every outer part of the car from the bumpers to the emblems as well as polish and get any dings out of the stainless.

Hi Stan, I may be looking for some plating as it looks like another '51 is coming my way. A Patrician this time. I have always used Oregon Plating here in Portland but I was wondering who gave you that quote.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 3:42
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
Company Cruisin Classics off hwy 22 near Salem.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Stan, I'll keep them in mind when my new (to me) Patrician arrives.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 19:28
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved