Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

West Peterson, Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Ultramatic front seal replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I have a leak at the front of the trans and belive the front seal is leaking, I will be replacing the front seal on my 56 clipper with ultramatic trans but can not find the procedure for removal and installation can you help with this because i am sure if i dont do it right i will be doing it again and will possibly make a small problem into a trans replacement thanks you guys are the best at Packard service

Posted on: 2014/10/5 10:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Ultramatic front seal replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd recommend you start by reading the shop manual, page 9 of the Twin Ultramatic Section titled "Transmission Removal".

Pretty basic operation. As the rear motor/transmission mount is on the rear of the transmission you'll have to use a jack or support beam to support the engine at the rear. Disconnect the propeller shaft at both ends and remove. Disconnect the various linkages, oil cooler lines, speedometer cable, etc. and use a transmission jack to remove the unit. Draining the fluid first is advisable. It's all spelled out in some detail in the shop manual.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
R & R of the trans is pretty straightforward--just a lot of unbolting, move it back about 1 inch and drop it straight down. If you have pushbutton, follow the procedure in the shop manual for pushing the trans sideways and working the selector off the shaft. Be sure to put it in reverse first then disconnect the battery so you can reach the set screw on the selector.

The larger issue is why the seal started leaking, or if it is even the seal. Here's a couple of things to look for:

small leak: check that it is not leaking around the lower bolts that hold the bell housing to the tranny.

Look for stains around the inner face of the torque convertor that will show that the gasket under the convertor stub shaft is leaking. If that area looks like it has been hot and oil baked on to it, then check that the one way clutch has not seized; ie grab the inner shaft on the convertor and twirl it quickly in both directions. One way should feel distinctly different than the other.

Otherwise just use a seal puller to snag out the old seal and then carefully tap in a Napa 21172.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 10:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I read the manual but could not find mention of the seal and was not sure if there was a special tool or if it is straight forward and will be looking for the leak source as i take the tranny out thank you both for your help

Posted on: 2014/10/5 14:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
ok I replaced the front seal and the leak is the same as it was , i then replaced the whole trans with one from my parts car and have the same problem , could the shaft be bent causing a run out issue.
and is there a check for it, i am getting good at changing the trans.
it is painfull to spill 50 dollars worth of f type fluid each time i try this. thank you all for the expert advice I know I will recive
also there is no noticable vibration it is on jack stands and the only problem is the pool of trans fluid under the car dropping from the inspection plate.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 0:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Then I would say that the gasket between the stub shaft and the convertor casting has failed. You will have to take the convertor apart to change that.
Not to play the prophet of doom, but that gasket usually only fails if the convertor has been overheated. Is the reactor clutch seized? Grab the inner shaft on the convertor and give it a quick twist in both directions. In one direction you should feel a turbine go along with it, in the other direction not.

That is also a good time to check the condition of various and sundry bushings that you will encounter: The reactor shaft must fit with no noticeable play inside the stub shaft, there must be a good fit between the reactor shaft bushing and the the mainshaft of the tranny, the stubshaft has to fit nicely in the bell housing bushing, etc.

Standard clearance for all those bushings is .002-.003".

Posted on: 2015/6/8 5:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As an antidote for the fluid loss, I bought a NEW oil change pan to drain and hold the fluid. The one I bought is flat and sort of looks like the old 5 gallon gas containers you see on the back of jeeps in war movies. It has a second tight fitting cap on the angled flat side where the oil can run into the container and then be capped and stood upright to store.

Use that pan to catch the fluid before working on trans and then transfer it a bit at at time into a smaller container to pour back in trans. As long as you don't use the pan for regular oil or antifreeze between the time you work on trans you can catch and reuse the fluid..

Posted on: 2015/6/8 8:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
ive been thinking about this and the converter is also the one from the other trans. I think i need to go back to the other trans and converter and try to replace the oil seal once again I am not sure if it was seated all the way in the groove I was loooking at it and the first trans is definitly better condition and I will not save this fluid because I dont want to put this fluid in the other trans this one had som metal bits and gunk in the pan it does still work but I am not confident in it long term if it does not hold fluid this time I may need a professonal rebuild or at least reseal job

Posted on: 2015/6/8 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Agree with Ross, I just did a 56 and the converter overheated at some point. The seal was hard as a rock and the Sprag frozen solid to the converter shaft.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 18:06
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved