Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Right rear lower shock mount bolt broken.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
In 2006, the right rear shock bracket on my 1955 Patrician broke. It was an inferior design to the 1956 version, so I just swapped it out since I had one and they are otherwise interchangeable. Here's a pic of the broken 1955 one:

Resized Image

Here's 1956 (left, on the car now) versus 1955 (broken):

Resized Image

OK...fast forward to 2014. The T-L suspension on my 55 Pat was acting kind of "weird", so I decided to jack it up and take a look. Whoa! The right rear shock bracket attachment BOLT was missing. It had obviously broken off on the inside of the bracket and fell away "somewhere." I don't have a picture, because that would just be a picture of "nothing." So, I removed a shock mount bolt from my 1956 parts car (they are special double thread ended with a fixed washer stop), cleaned it up and remounted the shock. All is now good in Packardville.

My question is: anyone else have this kind of problem and if so was it also the right rear? Likewise, does anyone have any theory about why the right rear would apparently be under more stress than the left rear?

Craig

Posted on: 2014/10/8 16:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Re: Right rear lower shock mount bolt broken.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't drive mine much so no experience with any broken but can't remember any others on the forums mentioning they seem to have as much of an issue. Actually, don't recall anyone else ever mentioning any issues.

I would start to wonder if the shocks have as much travel as the Packard originals or if there is something worn or missing and the axle/torque arm is somehow twisting or placing a stress on that side.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 17:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Right rear lower shock mount bolt broken.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
I would start to wonder if the shocks have as much travel as the Packard originals or if there is something worn or missing and the axle/torque arm is somehow twisting or placing a stress on that side.

Thanks for the speculation Howard, Shocks are from Kanter. Everything looks OK upon visual inspection and is stock as far as I know.

Here's some additional info. This is a picture of the 1956 shock attachment bolt assembly off the other side of my 1956 parts car. As you can see, the "short" end bolts to the bracket, held against the fixed (welded) washer. The "long" end is where the eye (lower) end of the shock attaches, then there's a washer and nut. Both nuts are of the crimped/castellated (self locking) variety and should not ever come off if torqued correctly.

My question is: why was the entire bolt missing??? If one end was loose and got broken, then the other end (either end actually) should still be there attached to either the bracket or the shock.

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2014/10/8 17:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved