Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: WTB - 352" V8 Pistons .030" or .040"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, the latest shipment of Egge pistons have the steel autothermic expansion strut cast in to them.

Their fitment specification is still .0025"-.003"; considerably more than the .0005"-.0015" called for with OEM Packard pistons.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/12/1 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
.003" clearence wouldn't worry me in the least. I'd much rather have the .003 than the .0005 in any engine. Worse case mite shorten ring life from 100K miles to maybe 80K miles.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 22:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd much rather have the .003 than the .0005 in any engine

It all depends on the specific expansion characteristics of the piston in question which is why the recommendation for clearance should come from the piston manufacturer; never use the factory clearance specifications for non-factory pistons, even those that might look physically similar.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The Packard V8 OEM pistons were "Bohnalite autothermic aluminum alloy with a cast-in strut of Invar low expansion steel alloy of 36% nickel and 64% iron, which assists in keeping the piston from expanding", is all I've ever seen.

FWIW, the Bohn Aluminum and Brass Corporation was located on 2512 E. Grand Blvd., just down the road from the Packard plant. Bohn was a major piston supplier to GM and other OEMs up into the 1980s. Beyond that, I have no more info.

Probably the cost to fit pistons tight by hand contributed to Packard's demise? Each piston was measured, marked with a one or two letter code and put in box of similar sizes. Each finished cylinder bore was measured and stamped with a one or two letter code on the bottom edge of the block. The assembler had to look at the rod number, look at the block letter code and hang a matching piston.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/12/2 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Jack, I believe I'd fit them at .0035"-.004", but that's just me. I had heard a couple of years ago about the steel strutted Kanter/EGGE available now, but have not tried a set. It will be interesting to hear how the ones you just bought turn out.

Even the earlier gen EGGEs will cool down eventually, even if fitted at .002"-.0025. But it takes a good 20,000 miles or so, at least the two motors I used them in took that long. Probably would cool down a lot quicker if fitted at .0035"-.004".

Hope you'll keep us posted on how yours turn out.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 23:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Anyone with a variety of oem,nos, nors or repop pistons might try an oven test at 200 to 300 degrees F TO measure expansion.

Posted on: 2014/12/5 8:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Could even use scrap or used pistons for the test.

Posted on: 2014/12/5 8:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved