Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Broke down.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Eric mentioned one way-number of hoses but the Monroe is an integrated unit- control valve and cylinder in a long unit, Bendix is 2 units --valve separate from cylinder. Cylinder is approx half length of Monroe.

As to which is correct, both are. My 56 Patrician had the Monroe which supposedly was only used on Jr cars. My Caribbean has the Bendix which was specified as used on senior cars.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
mine is a bendix with the seperate cylinder

Posted on: 2008/10/19 22:01
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the hoses for STARTER motor interfenece on lock-to-lock steering. Both of my 56 Exec's with 4 hoses (Bendix) has starter interfence on full left steer.

They both have a SLIGHTLY curved pitman arm too.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 10:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
they clear the starter fine, but at full left, i couldnt even install the hose because it moved in behind the pitman arm. it seems wierd, unless i somehow hooked something up wrong when i reinstalled everything. i dont think thats possible though. i dont think it could go back together any other way.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 12:23
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2008/10/20 14:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 56 Caribbean has the Bendix system and there are no interference problems with the two short hoses (or the others either). As someone else stated, the two short loops do extend down a bit below the frame, perhaps an inch or so. I'll try to remember to take some pictures when I have it up on a lift for an oil change next week.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my shorter hoses do not present a problem, its just the pressure line from pump to valve body. its almost like my valvebody assembly moved an inch inboard, that is, nearer to the center of the car

Posted on: 2008/10/20 14:48
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
its almost like my valvebody assembly moved an inch inboard, that is, nearer to the center of the car

On my car, wheels straight ahead, the pressure hose is exactly 12 inches from the side of oilpan. There is enough space above the exhaust pipe and below starter to push a tape straight in and land it just behind the front corner which gives a pretty accurate measurement. The pitman arm was hard to see from the front, and appears to be straight but possibly very slightly (degree or so) toward right. If yours should be off, I think I would look closely at the tie rod ends and see if they are the same on both sides.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
well, i have everything together using a piece of brakeline. its not great, but it works, and untill i get to a lift again, its good enough.

on another note, my torsion level system started working on sunday. i was leaning on the back bumper, and she started lifting herself! im so hyped!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:38
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
it keeps that car perfectly level.

lets hear it for 52 year old technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:50
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved