Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

Packard Newbie, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wipers/washers brake hoses
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Does anyone know the correct hose sizes for the balance valve and wiper/washer for the 55s? It seems there are 4 sizes. Is the 7/23 vac hose correct for the manifold and vac pump feed? The 5/23 washer/vac hose seems to fit the fittings from bal valve to washer but the od is smaller than orig. They swim in the firewall bracket. Did they use 3/36 fuel? seems to be closer. Also is the brake booster 11/23 pcv hose? or 3/8 fuel? does anyone have a test for the balance valve?
Less critical but is the balance valve cad plate or gold anodised or just cleared? it seems to have a gold hue

Attach file:

jpg  (80.99 KB)
1794_547b57f0b28f8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/11/30 12:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Wipers/washers brake hoses
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe you mean 32nds instead of 23rds for the fractions??

The Trico instructions and the Packard rewrite of the same mentions sizes in standard fractions of 1/4, 3/16. and 1/8 for the washer tubing. The fittings are exactly those sizes but the barbs are slightly larger so you get a decent fit on the hose. I used the 1/32 less on all because that was what I could easily get locally in plain rubber vacuum rated hose. While connections were maybe a bit tight on fittings with barbs, it paid off on the steel tubing from vacuum sources where there are no barbs. The 7/32 made for a nice snug fit on those. For the sweep control that is a tad smaller. 3/32 works but 7/64 seems about right. Both ODs are smaller than old stock hose so going thru the grommet might leave a bit of opening.

I tried straight 3/8 on the brakes and thought it was too easily pulled off because there are no barbs on those fittings. As you mention, modern hose seems a bit less in OD than the old stuff. Maybe made of a better material or just going cheap but original wire clamps were not much help in securing the hose. I changed it to the 11/32 hose for a tighter fit and then used a modern wire clamp.

I have a couple of balance valves and they appear to be straight diecast zinc. No yellowish coloring I can see.

Here is the Trico illustrations for a 54 and Packards rewrite for 55 for comparison. Tubing sizes appear to be identical.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.14 KB)
209_547b65e4dd8c5.jpg 441X281 px

jpg  (23.09 KB)
209_547b65ed846f8.jpg 440X251 px

Posted on: 2014/11/30 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Ok. Thanks Howard. You, Kev, O D and others are a great help always with good info and advice. I saw the latter diagram but no size chart with it. Never thought to look at a 54 manual. Interesting the 55 does not show the tiny "short stroke" hose. I guess the same 1/8 used under the dash for fluid delivery. All I have avail on that is a very soft rubber. Not sure if it will collaps for the vacuum.
If I test the balance valve it seems to operate in the reverse manner I suspected. I will post pics. and desc. It does have a goldish apperance but I saw on some other posts a "varnish" or clear used on some parts that yellows over time. could be the same?
Sorry for the mis type. I was referring to the 7/32 and 5/32. they seem to come in 32nds or 64th.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 20:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I tried to get some close up shots. you can see the gold color the best on the hose nipple leading to the wiper mtr. Also note the very small lettering on the fittings designating manifold, v p, and washer. As i understand it, the balance valve should let vac pass from both inlets to both outlets which it does. It was there to "close off" the manifold inlet when under WOT there is no manifold vac and allow the vac pump to supply the wiper. When I test- it does that exact function very well but opposite. If there is no vac from the pump! It closes that port and allows a sealed vacuum passage from the manifold to the outlets. see test pic. I was hoping to verify operation and install back on the car without opening it up. Anyone ever tested theirs?

Attach file:

jpg  (95.75 KB)
1794_547bcbf43802d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (80.29 KB)
1794_547bcc344d569.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/11/30 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
In the pic above with a vac pulled on the "man" inlet fitting and the "V P" open to atmos. vac will be applied and held to the outlets. Should the same be true pulling a vac on the "v p" fitting and the "man" open to atmosphere?

Attach file:

jpg  (92.57 KB)
1794_547bcf0581f09.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (82.79 KB)
1794_547bcf23ebe43.jpg 594X596 px

Posted on: 2014/11/30 21:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved