Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder
Just popping in
Just popping in

ozzie53
See User information
trying to change a 1955 clipper super,,,,manual to first a dual cylinder master cylinder then disc brakes,,,, maybe all at the same time depending on the bucks

Posted on: 2014/12/15 13:56
 Top  Print 

Re: front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here ya go:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/discbrakes.html

Both have been installed for over 12 years and are 100% reliable.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/12/15 15:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I should add that there are several other good dual-master power brake solutions out there. The above is the way I did mine.

Also, rather than have a custom setup for disc brakes like I did, apparently Kanter sells a Wilwood conversion for Packard, but I don't know anyone who's installed one.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/12/15 15:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Disc brakes are nice but alot of the period stock wheels won't work with them. The conversion guys don't like to tell you that before you buy them.
So if you change, you need to check, you may not be able to use the stock rims/hubcaps. I had to go dual master only to retain the stock rims on my Cad. Then you have to be concerned with the wheel cylinders and the added pressure. I found the post war stock Packard brakes stopped very good for being manual brakes but at higher HP in the later models, they may suffer.

Posted on: 2014/12/26 20:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My '55 also has manual brakes & TL, it will be more difficult to fit a tandem master than on a PB car. It will be Spring before I give it more thought, let's see what you come up with!

Posted on: 2014/12/27 0:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I just wanted to clear up some confusion about the disc brake kit that we sell. The kit is not from wilwood. In fact we had this kit available even before wilwood by a few years and many others to for other popular makes of the 40's and 50's. We worked closely with a established brake company and their engineers to design the kit. We supplied them with many NOS spindles to help in the design process. Then we actually fit some of the kits to Fred and Dan's private cars to ensure proper fitment.

Another thing that I would like to point out is that our kit will work with the Packard factory wheels. Please let me know if there are any other questions that I can answer for you about the Kanter Disc Brake Conversion Kit.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2014/12/31 15:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Dual MC for a '54 would be nice. Like the initial poster, I think that's where I'd want to start modification, especially since I have Crash-O-Matics.

BTW Craig, thanks for the links to the Packard Panther site. Many years ago it was finding that site that started me back down the Packard path. I discovered that not only I dreamed of modified V8 Packards, but that someone was actually doing it! It was also very helpful for finding other venues used by Packard heads on the internet.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 20:15
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

ozzie53
See User information
what master cylinder would you use on the disc brake kit,,,, currently i have a frame mounted single cylinder master

Posted on: 2015/3/11 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I just had a maiden voyage with my new power front discs I got out of Los Angeles wow these suckers are great!,, the thunderbolt ended up making plenty of vacumb to,pull the booster ,stock wheels fine
I think these guys make the parts that everyone sells in thier kits
Very satisfied

Posted on: 2015/6/29 17:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
steve-52/200 Quote:
I just had a maiden voyage with my new power front discs I got out of Los Angeles wow these suckers are great!,, the thunderbolt ended up making plenty of vacumb to,pull the booster ,stock wheels fine
I think these guys make the parts that everyone sells in thier (sic) kits. Very satisfied

What MC?

Craig

Posted on: 2015/6/29 19:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved