Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 117

Ross, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Thoughts on a 1940 160 coupe project ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
A good friend has a 1940 160 coupe project car which is probably the best starting point one might ever hope to find, as it's always been a western dry-climate car. The bad news is it has been completely disassembled.

The good news is any flaws are visible and they are few. The body is near perfect with original paint and the floor pans are sound, surface rust only. The engine has been professionally rebuilt, to include balancing.

The owner has decided he'll never have the time to finish it himself or the money to pay to have it professionally restored.

He's asked me to help him put a current market value on it. I understand the difficulty of those here not being able to see the pieces, but does anyone have a price range guess?

What other details might one need to make an estimate?

What would be the price range for a well-restored coupe?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Thoughts on a 1939 160 coupe project ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
A couple of members have asked, and yes, AFAIK, it was a complete running, driving car when disassembled.

It's located in northeast Washington, near the Idaho panhandle.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/1 20:49
 Top  Print 

Re: Thoughts on a 1939 160 coupe project ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hmmmm Jack, just hit me, there weren't any 160's in '39! '40 was the first year for the 160 with the 356 S8.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 21:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Thoughts on a 1940 160 coupe project ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Good catch. I've corrected the title. His is of course a 1940.

My excuse, and I'm stickin' to it, we were just negotiating on a 1939 R9 overdrive transmission to use in the build.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/2 11:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not to pick nits, but thought 39's used the R6 OD and R9s not available until the 40 models.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 12:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Just my opinion...
It sounds like a great car for someone who knows how to put it back together. The 1940 Packard 160 club coupe may have been the fastest production car available at the time. That said, being completely disassembled, I think you'd have a hard time selling for more than $15,000.

Also, as HH56 said, the R9 overdrive was not available for the 1939 models. There were two different versions fo the R9: one for the super eight and one for the junior models.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 13:21
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Just my opinion...It sounds like a great car for someone who knows how to put it back together. The 1940 Packard 160 club coupe may have been the fastest production car available at the time. That said, being completely disassembled, I think you'd have a hard time selling for more than $15,000.

Thanks, West. I'm having a difficult time talking myself out of taking this one on. I've always liked that vintage Packard. I think $15K would buy it and another $15K might have it painted and together. Upholstery and chrome is another story. Any current market value on a finished car?

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/2 20:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Can anyone help out with descriptions and pictures and explain the differences between the models in the 1938-40 range. I looked at the model info links and owners registry and there is still confusion. I see " club coupe" cars that look to be touring sedans. The 160 refers to the hp? The 115 business coupe and the 120 are the wheel bases of the actual coupe cars either rumble seat or trunk style business coupe cars. Then i see 120 "club coupe" in a few cars in the registry which look like 2 door touring sedan rear. It is the length and shape of the trunk area which is in question.

I thought club coupe referred to a golf club storage door. Are there club coupe models in 2 door with a "touring sedan" style vertical trunk lid?

Posted on: 2015/1/2 21:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I have a 38 Club coupe and as I understand it a Club coupe has two little fold down seats in the back whereas the business coupe is just empty in the back. That makes the Club coupe a 2/4 passenger car. The senior coupes have the golf club door.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 8:15
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Quote:
Just my opinion...It sounds like a great car for someone who knows how to put it back together. The 1940 Packard 160 club coupe may have been the fastest production car available at the time. That said, being completely disassembled, I think you'd have a hard time selling for more than $15,000.

Thanks, West. I'm having a difficult time talking myself out of taking this one on. I've always liked that vintage Packard. I think $15K would buy it and another $15K might have it painted and together. Upholstery and chrome is another story. Any current market value on a finished car?

jack vines

A finished car, ready to win First Place awards at any show, would probably be valued around $40-50,000. As you imply above, though, it would obviously cost a lot more than that to get it to that condition. Even if you did all the work yourself, it would be hard to break even.... that is, if you were doing the work to flip it.

I, too, would be interested in the car at around $15 knowing that I'd be doing all the re-assembly myself. I don't have the space right now, and don't have the money. For a car that you are buying in basket cases, it helps to have a similar car around (if not actually parked in the same garage) so that you can see what goes where, how it fits, etc.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 11:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved