Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

upholstery
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Well I seem to be on a roll. So does anyone have a good source for fabric as I will have to redo the seats of my car. I did find SMS Auto Fabrics and they have great samples but I would like to see what other options I have. Thanks John

Posted on: 2008/9/23 9:16
 Top  Print   

Re: upholstery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Bill Hirsch is another source. However I think SMS has the most selection of original patterns, but make sure you have a lot of money, because neither of them are inexpensive.

Posted on: 2008/9/23 9:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
I rebuilt my interior myself. I used the old seat covers as a pattern. I bought my material at Walmart for $2.00 on sale. it takes about 15 yards. my next project is the headliner I did my seats and door panels and have received alot of compliments

Here a couple of pictures

Attach file:

jpg  (103.05 KB)
396_48d97f93034ae.jpg 1280X958 px

jpg  (102.56 KB)
396_48d97fcc93f66.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2008/9/23 18:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wish I had the talent to sew like that! Did you also rebuild the seat foam? Rodents ruined mine. I need to replace all the fabric, foam, and burlap.

Posted on: 2008/9/23 20:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Very Nicely Done!!
Getting welting (the black seams) to line up can be a bother. You seem to have gotten past that one!
To you a Two Rootbeer Salute!

Posted on: 2008/9/24 9:40
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I, too, am impressed with your sewing ability and am interested in whether or not you had to rebuild the seats themselves prior to reupholstering. My back one is pristine but, evidently, two 800 lb gorillas occupied the front for many years.

I've been a little hesitant to embark upon a project in which I've absolutely zero experience. Know someone who could do the upholstery work but the seat, itself, is a wreck.

Posted on: 2008/9/24 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I agree as well that you did an outstanding job. I have used a sewing machine one time to fabricate a burlap inner cover for a Porsche seat, but I don't know if I'd have the expertise to tackle full covers. What kind of experience did you have when you started your covers?
John

Posted on: 2008/9/25 11:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
this is the first uphostrey job that I done. It is really simple. everything comes apart like a puzzel.

As I said I used the original seat covers as a pattern. which means I took each panel apart laid it on the new material and cut it out.
I took the seat completely out of the car and worked on a table. I did replace the padding in the seats. I used 3M #77 spray glue to attached the material to the panel on the back of the front seat and to the door panels. I bought new hog rings from the hardware store. Once you sew the panels together, put it on the seat and check for fit and if needed resew the seams to tighten the fit, install the cover with hog rings you will be really suprised how easy it is once you get into it. just pull the cover on tight and fasten it to the frame with hog rings

Be a real man and don't be scared of the sewing machine it is just another tool (get some scrap material and practice sewing)It is not a sissy thing

I am really proud to tell folks that I did it myself, I took my packard to a fellow that does it for a living to ask him how much he would charge to do my headliner ( he said that it would cost me $800.00)He the said that if I could do the seats like I did the I can do the headliner. So, I decided that I should keep my $800.00 and drove away.

For your info the seats and door panels take about 15 yards and the headliner takes 6 yards

Posted on: 2008/9/25 17:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved