Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Remains of a 1937 prototype?
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Roger

Thanks for pursuing and documenting this piece of Packard history with the young man. As most prototypes are scrapped before the public ever has a chance to have them, only an internal sale to a trusted employee would ever get one out intact. As the family keep the car so long without selling it to a non-Packard employee, one wonders whether a non-resale agreement had to be signed beforehand.

Although it is a shame that it has come to such a ruined state, might be well if an expert in early Junior series models examined the remains for details as to how it differs from the general production.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/7 7:49
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Yes It is a shame to see it in this state but an interesting story. Thanks for posting this story. Doesnt look like there is much left to study for differences or similarities to other cars though. May I inquire, is the vin tag still attached to the vehicle? Wonder if the car should be removed and kept in its current state or allowed to return to the earth with yearly time laps photog? May make a more interesting exhibit.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
To Steve:

Your question about an examination by a junior expert is the reason I spoke with Jim Balfour. If The Flackmaster was closer to MI, then he would be invited to a field trip to rural, northern MI also.

To Custom:

Yes, the dataplate is off the car - please see the photo on page one of this thread. About moving the car - please see my earlier post on page 2 (#14). A time-lapse photo series is something to think about.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 10:02
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Steve, thank you for that insight on the possible no-sale agreement. That could be one of the reasons the car was held onto for so long, among other things. How long might that have been in effect? By the mid-50's, I know PMC was nearing the end of its corporate life.

Thanks to everyone else for your ongoing interest and insights. My initial goal in digging up bones on this car was to try to salvage the engine and transmission. In the words of my brother-in-law who has more experience than me, it "doesn't look that bad." I had been looking for a long-term engine project to grow into, hopefully with my kids, and what better than something totally unique?

On another note, I have been trying to study up on the charging system on these cars. I quickly realized that I don't have a good grasp on modern alternator systems, let alone an 80 year-old generator system. I have looked up the wiring diagrams that are helpfully offered on this site, but they are still a bit of an overview. This is going to come into play later on if my engine project goes off, so does anyone have any suggested resources on where I can learn the basics? I have questions like, does all the power from the dynamo go to through the battery first? Why do they use the opposite +/- convention for grounding? What implication does this have for polarizing with the battery? Any thoughts would be great.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 18:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a halfway decent Autolite publication on how regulators operate that might give you some insight of the generator charging systems. While there are detail differences, Delco or other systems would work the same way.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/AutoliteGenerators.pdf There are other early methods of control but from about mid 30s on Packard relied on the generator/regulator type.

Generators rely on the typical moving of a coil of wire cutting across a magnetic field for their operation. When first starting the car, the generator is disconnected from the battery. Field poles have a slight weak residual magnetism which is just enough to start a voltage (but not much current) being produced as soon as the armature starts moving. Once that voltage is present it increases with RPMs until at a certain level it is used by the regulator to connect the generator to the car and full output and control of the generator is obtained. Generators are very speed dependent compared to alternators. If RPM is not maintained then voltage or current drops to the point the battery is providing more than the generator and you see the warning light or ammeter discharging while you are sitting a a light.

The manual touches on some of the various methods of control.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 19:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Jared

If your Great Grandfather signed a non-resale agreement with Packard to buy the car, by the time the car was retired to the woods the statute time was long passed. Being an honorable man of his word that your Great Grandfather no doubt was and still a loyal Packard man, that's why he held on to it as long as he did. Dearly wished he'd tucked it away in the corner of the barn for you to enjoy now.

There are still many nice, driveable, reasonably-priced '37 115 Sixes of all body styles available which you might like to consider for your own ownership currently. If for no other reason than to experience and enjoy a car that your grandparents did and apparently held in high regard.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/7 19:25
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks for posting this. The link to the model broshure also helped clarify the model names and clear up some confusion. Seems the 120 sport coupe and business coupe and convert were the only real coupes. the touring "coupe" is the touring sedan body shape in 2 doors and the club sedan is also, and there was no club "coupe" untill 39 and 40 as I could see but by that time the real "coupes" had the add opera window. So the "six" models were the same just in the shorter 115 wheel base but not called 115 S in 37. So the 120 s were this due to the wheelbase? Then later they were 120 for the hp and w base was 127? The 115 was the new name for the six later on? still confusing though the ones I remember and like are only the 37 or 38 "sport coupe and "business coupe" non convertibles. Anyone have one of these to let go? Not the "touring coupe" or "club coupe" or "the sedan". Trade for a 55 Clipper Custom

Posted on: 2015/2/14 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
the touring "coupe" is the touring sedan body shape in 2 doors

Almost certainly the least-common closed car body style in the Packard line and one that was much more popular in the "low price three"; a good "starter car" for young families, least expensive car with comfortable seating for 5 and without the risk of back doors with kids. They are often called "coupe-sedans" or more properly "coupe-victorias" (2-door sedan). Unfortunately many of the few survivors have succumbed to the hot-rodders.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.26 KB)
177_54df6ea16c588.jpg 750X563 px

Posted on: 2015/2/14 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The 1937 Packard Six (115C) was a one year only model. The 115C designation comes from the wheelbase like its big brother the 120. The "C" was used to match up to the third year for the 120; 1935 - 120, 1936 - 120B, and 1937 - 120C and 115C. The junior 1935-37 Coupes were either either Business Coupe or Sport Coupe (neither had a back seat). The Sport Coupe had a rumble seat for an extra two passengers, like the convertible coupe. Basically the same body styles were available in both the 120 and the Six/115C. In 1938 the 6-cylinder came to be called the Six with the 120 being called the Eight. Then in 1939 back to 110 and 120 designations. I agree, it is all somewhat confusing.

(o{}o)

Correction: The One-Ten (110) designation was not used until the 1940 models. The Six designation continued from 1938 to 1939. The One-Twenty (120) designation was revived for 1939 and continued until 1941. The Model Info section reveals all.

Posted on: 2015/2/14 11:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: The thief-proof number from the 37
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Hello to all,
Here at last is an actual photo of the thief-proof number on the firewall of the 37 Packard 115C. I can see the confusion about 5 or 6 digits...since there is a penetration for a cable in the middle. This strikes me as an odd thing, too.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.72 KB)
79866_54ea47a4bd7a6.jpg 695X521 px

Posted on: 2015/2/22 16:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved