Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 48

37Blanche, kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Convertible Top Parts
Just popping in
Just popping in

Trophy Performance
See User information
I have a 1940 Packard convertible kit car, and I am having difficulty found parts for the convertible top. I have attached some photos below and in the first couple photos there are hinges depicted above each door that are bent and broken. Those are the components I am trying to find, and the other couple of photos are pictures of the top inner assembly. I have already tried Kanter Auto Parts who suggested there forums, if anyone has any info on where to look please let me know. Thanks, Sara

Attach file:

jpg  (17.01 KB)
80818_54c66747eb965.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.25 KB)
80818_54c6674e28ecf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.24 KB)
80818_54c6675ba15b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.51 KB)
80818_54c6676289439.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (14.98 KB)
80818_54c667689340f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.81 KB)
80818_54c66779b8be3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/1/26 11:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Convertible Top Parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Highly unlikely you will find the individual part - I recommend you consider having a machine shop make a new one from your broken part.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For a long shot you might try Bob Stolzfus in PA. He's listed in the PAC Yellow Pages.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 12:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Sara,Trophy Performance,
to PackardInfo, and, I invite you to include your '40 Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry. And I see you are no stranger to Packards, with another Packard(about a '33 Convertible Coupe?) pictured on your Website.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 14:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Just an FYI:

The broken parts are likely the result of hydrogen embrittlement caused by poor plating practice.

Somewhere around here I have the exact conditions (too much voltage, too little metallic salt, chloride baths vs cyanide baths, etc. etc.) in my references.

All replated parts are embrittled to a degree because the original solutions were engineered to exacting specifications beyond what a plater can replicate.

However, if the broken parts are brass rather than steel they are reproductions. A blacksmith could make those up, but I don't know if there are any left.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 16:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Shropshire
See User information
I have a 1940 Convertible also, what part do you need,?

I my self are looking for the front Brow Bow, I have rot on one end where the top needs to be fasten too.

Try Fred at Max Merritt, also great guy

Posted on: 2021/10/18 9:14
Paul Shrop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Agree with Tim Cole precisely on the link parts being broken due to embrittlement... probably due to plating.

But these links can also be affected by poor assembly. With broken or out-of-position links it will only follow that your top bows will be bent since they will not be in proper position for folding. In these tops, one thing quickly leads to another. All you need is for one link to bind and it's game over if the top is lowered or raised.

Most likely, you will end up needing to get your links re-fabricated. Also make absolutely certain that any shoulder bolts are not binding or that they have been not been replaced with substitutes.

These tops were very precisely engineered and balanced. Thus they are almost totally intolerant of deviations and home-made fixes.

Posted on: 2021/10/18 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul for possible top parts it might help to have a look at this POST on the AACA Forums.

Posted on: 2021/10/18 16:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Try Penn-Dutch Restoration Services located on 100 Commerce Dr., Glen Rock, PA. 17327. They reproduce the entire top bows for 1937 Junior Packards, not sure if they make any parts for 1940?

Posted on: 2021/10/18 18:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved