Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

53 327 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm looking at a prewar car with a 53 327 in it. I'm glad it's not a SBC but it's not original of course. Im not familiar with the 327 engines so maybe somebody can educate me a little more on them. What to look for, what are their pro's & con's? What are the weak points?

Posted on: 2015/2/20 8:00
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 327 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
First, check the engine number to determine if it is a 5 or 9 main bearing engine. Look in the Packard Info section on the menu to get the engine numbers. The nine main bearing version was used in the senior cars, and was optional in the mid level cars. It is a very smooth and torquey engine. A bit more expensive to rebuild, but not much. The 327 five main is a good engine as well, just not quite as smooth. Both engines can take some power upgrades such as boring, 4 barrel carbs (assuming you have the correct manifold), hotter cams, porting and polishing etc. A hotter cam will make the idle a bit lumpy. The engines are both good engines, and very durable and forgiving as long as you aren't into smokey burnouts. One weakness of the straight eights is possible exhaust manifold cracking due to careless torquing of the manifold bolts, and overheating of the rear cylinders due to clogged up water tubes. Both of these issues can happen but aren't extremely common.

Parts are fairly easy to obtain at a reasonable price. Most people can't tell the difference between a prewar 8 and a 53 8 (except for the guys that frequent this website). Plus you don't have to chop up the frame like you would with installing the Chevy V8. Main difference on prewar and 51-54 engines is the location of the engine mounts. Prewar has the mounts up front; 51-54 has them on the side.

Keep looking at this website, and try typing in questions in the search bar. This is a great source of info. Also look at the Packard Club website as well.http://www.packardclub.org Also, joining the Packard Club is another good idea if you would like to find out about Packards. Don't know if there is a local Packard club close to you, but if there is, that is another good source of info. If you are somewhat close to Salado Texas, the meet there will be coming up shortly and that is a great place to visit and learn about Packards.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 9:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 327 in either of it's configurations (5 or 5 main bearing) is a fine engine, no weak points. When the 282 was replaced for the 22nd series, all 3 engines (the 288 and 327 were new designs, the 356 was a carryover) were given a common bore of 3.5 inches, thus the 282 became 288, and 1/2 inch more stroke gave the 327. The 356 was dropped (in cars) at the end of the 23rd series and replaced with a 9-main bearing version of the 327. Check the motor # to see if the one you're looking at is a 5 or 9-main bearing version.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 9:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The nine main bearing version was used in the senior cars, and was optional in the mid level cars.

That's news to me, do you have any documentation to that effect? According to the RPO codes I have, the 327 was an option over the 288 in the base series, but the "400" (9 main 327) engine was solely supplied in the Patrician, no exceptions. Even the 53 Caribbean used the 5-main 327 with no upgrade option.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

What pre-war model you are looking at that has the '53 327 installed? Seems to me it would be a great combination for a driver.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/20 10:53
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
A 36 eight. So it replaced a 320.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 12:18

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What is the serial number on the engine? I wonder if this was one of the the "Authorized Post-War" replacement nginesthat where available when the prewar replacement engines were no longer available.

2 different replacement engines I have in seen pre-war cars have an unusual motor serial number. It also has special bracketry to adapt the throttle linkage.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 13:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
We are working the on the serial #.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 15:26

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think the 288 or 327 post war engine replacement program was for pre war cars with the 282 sized engines and not the senior old style 320s. Fitting one of the 288/327s into a '39 and earlier Super 8 would be a major undertaking while replacing one of the 282s would be relative straight forward. Could be wrong but...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/2/20 18:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard issued bulletin 49P-12 dated May 12, 1949 on installing a 327 in the Super Eight 1703, 03A and 05 chassis with the 320 engine. It was involved. The first paragraph has the mechanic burn off old mounting brackets and use a body jack and block of wood to mash in the firewall (they called it the dash) to increase the depth.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved