Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 204

Bob J, Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

TURN SIGNALS AND SIDE VIEW MIRRORS???
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul Olhovsky
See User information
Hello all..!! Just became proud owner of a '47 clipper 6. One of my favorite models, with so much history.

So I am somewhat new, but have done a ton of research already, I am stumped on this one issue..

My car does not come SIDE MIRRORS... and yet it does not appear to have a location for them. At first I thought they were removed by some previous owner. But upon inspecting photos on the web of other 21 build clippers, my car has no pre-drilled holes or any sort of area for them. Is this correct? Were some models not included with side mirrors?

Also.. I have no turn signal switch on the stalk (steering column). And again, it does not appear that it was removed or that there is a spot that they could of been mounted on. Is this ALSO correct? Were some model not included with turn signals?

Any information would be helpful...

Posted on: 2015/3/16 12:56
 Top  Print   

Re: TURN SIGNALS AND SIDE VIEW MIRRORS???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on acquiring a fine car and welcome.

Both items were options since neither was required when the car was new. The deluxe was the economy model and came with very few accessories and options. Side mirrors could be installed by the factory or more commonly by the dealer and are available in repro from several of our Packard vendors.

Turn signals were a factory only installed option. I believe you will also find the tail light housing has space for only one bulb on your car and nothing for the separate turn signal bulb the factory option used until they went "modern" with the 23rd series and shared the brake light. Not sure about the wiring loom to the rear. Packard may have used a single overhead loom for all cars which would have had all the wires but I doubt it. Turnsignal equipped or ready cars will have 5 wires in the loom which comes down the left side of trunk opening and ends near the left tail light. In your case, two would be unused and either taped up or maybe just end in a plastic connector.

The brake lights share a single wire so adding turn signals without having the wiring or a separate bulb will get a bit involved.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Paul Olhovsky,
to PackardInfo and for including your '47 Clipper Six Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 13:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul Olhovsky
See User information
Howard..
Thank you so much. I figured as such. Makes this car that much more intrinsic to me. I do not want to add anything to car that didn't come with it when the new owner acquired it in 1947. I will get used to using "hand signals" and looking very carefully....

Have a great day!

Posted on: 2015/3/16 13:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi there Hamilton, NJ (and just where is Hamilton?). I use hand signals routinely with my 34 Packard and it's often an interesting experience. Most of today's drivers don't understand them but if you're obvious and vigorous, at least they suspect you're going to do SOMETHING though rarely do they know just what, but they invariably give you a wide berth. Extra attention of caution are a must.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 14:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Repro mirrors would certainly be correct and some type mirror is probably required in most places now. Downside to the Packard mirror is the two holes that need to be drilled in the stainless belt molding. There are some clamp on types that go on the door edge that might suffice if you don't want holes.

As to the turnsignals, not much can be done in keeping the car stock and adding the more common aftermarket types because of the wiring needed. There is an interesting system that has been on the market for awhile which is a wireless setup. I don't know anyone who has one but if it works as advertised then it would certainly eliminate any question of mods. Somewhat pricy though. Since the last time I looked at their site they even mention a "wireless" bulb. Couldn't find a voltage requirement other than something about a rechargeable battery or if it works with 6v but they do say antique vehicles -- of course antique to some means anything earlier than 1980.http://smartsignals.com/cms/

Posted on: 2015/3/16 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
HiPaul,
I use this system on my 34 as it now very dangerous in the UK driving without turn signals
Electro Tech Inc
www.turnswitch.com
Very easy to install
Hope this helps
Terry

Posted on: 2015/3/16 17:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved