Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PCV Valve???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I was considering adding a PCV valve to a 1949 Strait Eight. To do this I would need to seal up the breather and I could tap into the intake manifold for the vacuum port.

The questions are:

Has anyone done this and would provide any advice?

If I simply braze up the roadbreather and tap into the intake, do I also need to add a filtered opening to allow the air to circulate through the engine or would normal blow by be sufficient to run the PCV?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Posted on: 2015/3/21 21:42
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: PCV Valve???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pierce-Arrow in the late 20s and early 30s did it even easier - they just routed the crankcase breather tube back to the air filter. No valves, no muss, plain and simple.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 22:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't the taxi engines have a PCV setup? Maybe something like that could be fabricated if anyone has info or a photo.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 22:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I suspect the taxi set up was a rudimentary routing of the syphon tube into the air intake.

A modern setup requires a change in carburetion because the PCV allows up to 20% of the air intake to come through the crankcase at idle. Two calibrated orifices are added below the throttle for draw and this requires a change in venturi and jetting. Sure the car will run, but it will have poor idle quality.

PCV is mostly an emission control whose primary benefit occurs during low speed operation. If the car is using detergent oil and gets regular maintenance not much benefit will be achieved.

I'm too old to care about the environmentalists who drive around the country burning gas to protest overpopulation. As they say in the Army - not my problem.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 7:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Good info. I'm more concerned with the blow by greasing up the undercarriage. Perhaps a simple filter of sorts in the road tube would collect the grease and allow the gasses to release.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 10:39
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Henry J a 1951 I once had with the factory Willys 4 cylinder engine had a closed system hose connected the oil filler to the oil bath air cleaner worked well no problems that I remember. This was not a new car at the time. I think the jeep used same system as the engine was the same

Posted on: 2015/3/22 16:01
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Adding a PCV to an engine designed for road draft is simply much to do about nothing. The road draft set up is far superior to any PCV system.

There should be no blowby nor mess unless the engine is completly worn out or getting close to worn out.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 16:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved