Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

Aiden, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: "The Packard Experience" at the Gilmore
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's nice to see not everybody is taking a grinder to the radiator shells on the 32-34 Packard eights and painting them over. Once the grinder hits the metal it's permanent non-original.

Tim, not sure I agree. IIRC the standard configuration was chrome shell and painted shutters for the Eight, chrome shell and shutters for the Super Eight, and painted shell and chrome shutters for the Twelve. For extra cost any configuration could be had on any model.

And though I generally like the chrome shell and painted shutters, there are some body styles and colors that look terrific with the painted shell which is legitimate.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Steve203 wrote:
Thanks for the great pix. Looks like a much better turnout than the CCCA show last year.

It was MUCH larger than the CCCA Experience last year. Example: this year Packard was featured and 110+ Packards showed up. In 2014 Cadillac/LaSalle was featured and 52 Cad/LaSalles showed up. In 2013 Chrysler was featured and a grand total of 23 Chrylers showed up. So Packard had twice the number of Cad/LaSalles and five times the number of Chryslers.

But that did not stop the CCCA guy from grumbling about how he expected the Packard Club to get more cars out for his CCCA show. Wished he would have just said "thank you".

Posted on: 2015/6/21 22:43
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
The painted shell certainly makes the bonnet or hood look longer in profile. I've thought it curious that Packard reserved as standard painted shells for the Twelve, which probably had one of the longest hoods in the business at that time. A painted shell on my 1002 might fool people into thinking the car is more than it really is. I've also heard some horror stories and seen one or two shells with the copper showing through the chrome on the wide sides of the shell. The restoring owner of my car left the chromed shell in as-found condition for this very reason. It's the only piece of original chrome on the car's exterior. Maybe that's what is driving people to paint over chromed shells.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 22:46
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've only seen one or two period photos of 32-34 eight cylinder Packards, save blacked out town cars, with painted radiator shells and those were custom bodies.

That option just didn't happen. I also see a lot of twelves that originally had the chrome shell being painted over as well.

So I really don't understand why people don't like the Packard radiator. I assume that they want the car to look more like a 33 Cadillac or a modern Chevrolet, or maybe a 1919 Packard. I don't understand it.

When the thing gets painted they take a grinder to it and put putty on it. After that any attempt at putting it back to original will look like crap.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It did happen. I've seen original Eights with the painted shell. I like it, because I don't like the heavy look of the chrome shell. Plus, as David mentioned, it makes the hood look so much longer and sleek. So, in my opinion, if it doesn't go back to chrome, that's a good thing.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 22:04
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have to say though that whenever I see a 1932-34 Packard Eight or Super Eight with a painted radiator shell my first impression is that the owner is trying make his car look like a Twelve when it's not. What's worse is people chroming radiator shells, headlights and taillights on 1935-39 senior cars. I know a few did have it originally, but it just ruins the lines of the car.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 16:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved