Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Any weekend project plans?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well anyone got any big weekend Packard project plans? Lets here them!

It is supposed to rain here tomorrow and drop 30 degrees in temp, so it should be nice weather to hole up in the garage. I hopefully will try to get everything remounted on the firewall, and also get the hood hinges media blasted, and painted. I'm running out of places to put spare parts, so it is time to start putting things back together!

Posted on: 2008/10/3 22:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Any weekend project plans?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Well, if I get two exams written for school, I hope to get to the shop to start on the floors of the convertible. To take a break between floor panels hopefully I can get the air cleaner finished with at least one coat of paint.

Sounds like you have a full plate for the weekend. Hope you get it all done. If you do, It'll make me jealous again, again.

Posted on: 2008/10/3 22:55
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
While attempting to replace a collapsed hydraulic lifter that had firmly wed itself to the lifter seat the lifter seat broke. So in order to replace the lifter seat the camshaft has to come out which means the grill, radiator, etc. blah blah blah. Anyway this weekend since I now have the head, water pump, radiator, fan, and some grill support brackets off the car and at home, I will be media blasting and painting while the mechanic continues to make his way to the camshaft at his shop.

It was a real eye-opener when I went looking for a replacement lifter seat which I guess is also known as a cam follower. I got the following results:

Vendor 1: 'Haven't seen one of those in stock since 1995'.
Vendor 2: 'Yeah, we have some... $150 each... how many you want?'
Vendor 3: 'Sure... they're $35 each'.

So I ordered two from vendor 3 along with a set of gaskets for the valve covers. Including shipping/handling, this was still $46 less than the quote for one lifter seat from Vendor 2. Please don't ask me who these guys are... they are all well known vendors with good reputations and I'm glad that they are all there. I'm just suggesting it really pays to shop around.

This is the part I'm trying to describe:

Attach file:

jpg  (6.81 KB)
188_48e6f8616d078.jpg 254X207 px

Posted on: 2008/10/4 0:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I have high hopes for stealing a few hours this weekend (Weather forecast here in Phoenix near identical to Big Kev's in California) to install new kick panels and do a bit more detail work under hood. I have proper radiator and heater hose clamps to install.

Might even do a bit of minor league detailing. The car is by no means a show piece, but like all old cars could always benefit from a little elbow grease.

It sure is a pleasure to finally be in maintenance mode with this car. We are taking it to the PI Arizona Region 35th anniversary meet in Lake Havasu Nov. 13, 14, 15, & 16. Anyone else from the forum attending? Should be a fun time.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/10/4 0:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm going to be real busy working on 3 different Packards this weekend, I'm pulling the steering linkage out of my '56 Patrician parts car for possible adaptation to the Speedster, as well as gathering parts for the Speedster. Sunday will involve pulling the 288 out of the '53 Clipper parts car that I have, then taking parts off of the engine for my 327. (oil pan, oil pickup, distributor, water pump, head, and the connecting rods) Then hopefully Sunday evening I'll have enough time to see if my suspicions are correct for putting the power steering from a '56 Packard on a '37. All measurements so far look like it won't be too hard to do.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 1:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I have a full weekend planned also- Saturday a car show and Sunday another car show. It's nice to get the ole Packard shined up and have the folks try to figure out what kind of car it is. It amazes me how many times I get asked "What kind of car is this". Maybe it's because the only place my car says Packard on it is the hubcaps and the glass on the license plate light.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 6:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
JD - should you need another NOS 373345 lifter seat, I have one in my "I don't need it drawer". It's an unusual part, but shouldn't be That hard to find...

Posted on: 2008/10/4 8:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Flackmaster - Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully the rest of the job will be uneventful.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 9:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Well with two mornings of frost on the roof and the leaves turning colour I guess it will be time to get the 47 ready for winter storage. I want to have the gas gauge sender unit rebuilt so the gas tank will have to be let down also.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 11:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
a Packard event in Lake Havasu ? Sounds interesting - where can I find out about it. Must have missed the info., as I am both a Packards International and Packard Club member.. Might show up with my Twelve

? ? ? ?

Posted on: 2008/10/4 11:18
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved