Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Any Recent Develoments In The BTV Relacement Brake Pedal Front?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
I would recommend contacting the guys as ABS Power Brakes.http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ I purchased I believe it was the 10-57 brake setup which is a master cylinder 57 master cylinder which is a firewall mount with a remote brake fluid reservoir. I am very happy with this setup. I have attached some photos of the setup

Attach file:

jpg  (41.43 KB)
24_552fa3eb7c811.jpg 453X604 px

jpg  (37.21 KB)
24_552fa3f66ea1c.jpg 604X453 px

Posted on: 2015/4/16 6:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a nice and simple and neat install. When you get the rear axle problem sorted, I would be very curious what would happen if you or your mechanic disconnected the fuse or power to the pump.

Since you are using the stock 1:1 pedal ratio, it would be helpful if you could tell us how many stops are available with the reserve only and then if the car can still stop in an emergency with the reserve gone and no power to the pump.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 9:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Is there a power brake unit incorporated into the ABS system or does it just replace the BTV with a manual unit with remote fill?

I cannot see from the photos posted, but would like to know if the ABS unit affords a dual master cylinder.

I guess a lot of us are hoping that there is a dual master cylinder with the option of power assist built in or available through a remote electro vac or Hydrovac unit that will be able to use the original pedal location with the 1-1 ratio.
Please keep us posted.
thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2015/4/17 0:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
That black ball shaped chamber looks like the accumulator ball used in ABS systems I used to service quite a long time ago. Is it a Bosch type system? Where is the high pressure pump mounted to charge the accumulator? Can you give us the manufacturer designation # as I may have Info I can relay to answer some of the members questiones.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 7:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the ABS electric system.http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html

In addition to packard34s Caribbean in Australia, it was installed on one car and I think also a second both located on the east coast. Don't recall any mention of others. Reports have been good and I don't recall hearing anything negative other than it is a bit noisy at times when the pump kicks in.

The one question that has not been answered is how it performs in an emergency if a failure of the unit or power should happen and for some reason there is no reserve available. As ABS mentions in their description, if the reserve is used up it relies on the manual braking effort. The stock Packard location with the 1:1 pedal ratio is considerably lower than the minimum ratio recommended for all modern brake systems -- manual or power -- so manual braking effort available is going to be very limited.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 8:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I see. So that small unit below the accumulator IS the high pressure pump. Certainly much smaller than the factory units of the past. I see they are claiming several power stops after a failure with diminished assist on each pedal apply so it is assumed to give you a warning as to a failure so you can pull over and get the vehicle to a safe stop but maybe someone with one installed can comment on how much more rapidly the assist will go away with the 1:1 pedal ratio. It may be as reliable as any late 80s early 90s factory braking system. Each person will have to make the decision to implement. As I have stated before- once the car is modified and is no longer 100% stock there is no degree of less mod being better so if some are not happy with several reserve stops with warning indicated then the answer would be a full 7:1 ninety degree under dash vac booster mount retro. Not sure why you would need acceptable manual braking after several power stops and pulling the car to a safe stop. Are you going to drive the car home after the failure instead of towing.
I am not endorsing this system or any and as i said I have seen failures of even late model brake systems resulting in no pedal situations and booster failures in a 6:1 ratio car where a petite middle age woman was able to slow but not stop a vehicle and this caused an accident - though a less serious one.
As a side note- I remember bleeding brakes on cars equipped with the early HP pump and accumulator some of which the rear could not be bled unless the key was on and the accum charged then one person holding the pedal( not pumping) and the bleeder opened for a steady stream of fluid. Is there a special bleed procedure for this system?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted on: 2015/4/17 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
That is correct, the high pressure pump is located below the accumulator. I am quite happy with the system, I actually blew a fuse one day, (not due to the brake system) and from memory I had enough reserve power to use the pedal 3 or 4 times before I noticed the pedal getting quite hard to push, and while travelling on the hwy, I was able to safely bring the car to a stop at the side of the road.

I realise there are now a few different options available to replace the BTV, I have a friends who has just recently purchased a setup from ABS which is an upgraded version to my system. I am quite happy with this setup for my car.

I am not sure if the accumulator is a bosch system but I can check that out tomorrow and I will let you know. Also, as far as I know there was no special bleed procedure for the system. I have instructions on the bleeding procedure, so i'll dig those out and post the details.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Just a quick note: The model # is wrong, I listed 10-57. My unit is a 10-56-9

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html lists 10-57 as a firewall mount system

Posted on: 2015/4/18 5:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Attached is the brake bleeding instructions for the 10-56-9 system

Attach file:

jpg  (146.64 KB)
24_553238f956b72.jpg 915X1193 px

Posted on: 2015/4/18 5:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm guessing:
That a larger accumulator bulb would provide for many more loss of power stops.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 9:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved