Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21)

Re: Russian Tchaika [means seagull]
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
We actually have some Tchaikas here in Finland and while I was driving around my hometown, Turku a few days ago I encountered one! I had to stop and park my 1955 400 in front of the Tchaika and take some pictures. Here is the evidence:

Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/4/12 10:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Russian Tchaika [means seagull]
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

portlandon wrote:
This car looks to be part '55-'56 Packard & '58-'81 Checker. It looks quite Utilitarian. I remember seeing them used in alot of movies whenever they needed to show the Soviet side of the world. I remember one in the chase scenes of "White Nights" & "Firefox" from the '80s. I watched these movies when I was a child and remembered how much these cars intrigued me. I wondered how much Soviet cars looked different than anything American cars. However these Tschaika's looked very much like cars I'd seen at car shows with my father.

I am certain that in all the time the first post was up on "Tschaika" that someone should have caught it. Either way, the black limo listed as a "Tschaika" in the very first posting of this thread is actually a ZIL-111. Of course, the most recent photo (from Finland) is indeed a Chaika.

I always viewed the ZIL-111 as the senior series and the Chaika as the junior series. Like V8 Packards, these two share much of the same bodies, but the ZIL is the counterpart of the senior Packard whereas the Chaika is the counterpart of the junior Clipper series.

And yes, the Chaika name translates roughly to a sea bird...which... HMMMMmmmmm what is a cormorant or pelican? And where does a "clipper" go with a seafaring helm as a symbol? Even the names sound similar with two syllables... Chaka...Clipper.

As for the trim on the ZIL, it was very similar to 1956 Packard... except the side trim was a bit 1957 Ford Fairlane...the windshield was certainly 1955-56 senior Chrysler/Imperial style, etc. etc. The rear bumper exhausts were flattened like SOME 1956 Ford. Instead of running ribbed stainless down the sides like Packard, the Russians wrapped a chunk of it over the headlights and on SOME versions from certain years, shove a dab of it on sides of the tail lights flowing out of the Caribbean-esque angled vertical trim.

I have kept files with news clippings and photos of these cars since the 1950s-1960s. Somewhere I still have a Pontiac brochure that shows a Chaika and asks the question' "Seen the new Chaika?" or something to that effect. Of course the moral of the brochure is that if you lived in Russia at that time, the most/best you could do for a car would be to dream about owning a Chaika that you would never have. Meanwhile in the USA, you could buy any one of a whole array of beautiful Pontiacs...and so on...

There is/was a black Chaika limo in the collection of the LeMay family in Tacoma area of Washington state. I am unsure if it is still with the family or if it was transferred over to the LeMay ACM Museum in Tacoma. Either way, it is a decent one and running last I knew of it.

By 1977 I saved a news clipping of the descendent of the ZIL-111 and Chaika. The GAZ-14 was a combination of Imperial, Cadillac, Mercedes, Lincoln and a few other goodies tossed into the soup. Note the news caption...

Attach file:

jpg  (193.01 KB)
1249_538e3ab4dd862.jpg 1280X973 px

Posted on: 2014/6/3 15:53
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21)

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved