Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 116

Packard Don, kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1948 22nd Series - The tool kit -
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi

My car does not have a "Brake adjusting tool" can anyone please describe this item and how it is used.
I have seen photos of one but can't see on my car anywhere it could be placed to adjust the brakes.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2015/4/30 9:37
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 22nd Series - The tool kit -
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am assuming this is the tool you are asking about?? Over here they can be bought at most auto parts stores or ordered online from Amazon, etc. There is a slot in the backing plate -- frequently covered with a rubber plug -- where the convenient flat end of the tool can be inserted and via lever action turn the adjust wheel. The tool is shaped the same on each end but the angle is slightly different so the long portion can be used to best advantage.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.00 KB)
209_5542436c34cbc.jpg 363X301 px

Posted on: 2015/4/30 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Commonly called a "brake spoon".

Attach file:

jpg  (20.63 KB)
177_554248cadd747.jpg 1280X586 px

Posted on: 2015/4/30 10:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks to you both for the info and photos - I'm looking forward to getting under and having a search for the rubber bungs !!

The car is pulling horribly to the right at the moment so hope to get that sorted.

You may recall the long saga I started about starters on the 22nd Series - well recently it happened again but luckily the very nice AA man got me going sufficient to get the car back to its storage and remove the starter.

It was then that I decided enough was enough and bit the bullet and sent it on its holidays down to London to be rewound to 12volts.

Unfortunately I have not yet had time enough to get the starter put back but once on ALL parts will be 12volt so I'm keeping my fingers (all of 'em) crossed. I'll keep you appraised of the results.

Once more many thanks Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (120.33 KB)
1329_55463ca459cac.jpg 845X634 px

Posted on: 2015/5/3 10:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Another thing to check would be to make sure if a wheel cylinder isn't either stuck or leaking or if a hose has collapsed.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 1:14
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Yup Mark - know that - all wheel cylinders and all hoses are new but she still is pulling to the right when braking hence my question about the "Brake Spoon" - by the way I now have one however I DO NOT HAVE the little rubber bungs for the brake spoon adjusting hole - have to dig out my Steele Rubber Catalogue - just done that, nope they are not in MY catalogue - anyone know size, shape etc. - photo of one would help. Lastly anyone know how important or not to have them ?

Michael

Posted on: 2015/5/18 6:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably 50 or more % of the cars on the road in the day and today don't have the rubber covers for the brake adjustment slot - it would be nice to have them but makes no significant difference in the performance of the brakes except for the first stop after you drove thru deep water.

Someone else may know of a current source, I see them at automotive flea markets all the time, in the range of 4 or 5 for $1.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 7:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanter includes them in their brake overhaul kits. They may have them for sale individually or as a set.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 8:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Autozone has some called "Brake Backing Plate Hole Cover" they would probably work.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/18 8:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not entirely up to date on all that's been done, but pulling to the right (or left) is typically not the result of uneven brake shoe adjustment - as hydraulic pressure is equal in all directions and locations in the system it's much more likely to be a difference in frictional properties between the shoes and drum on one side or the other. If you had a leaking wheel cylinder on the right you may have brake fluid soaked into the linings (replace - both sides, or clean. Also a worn wheel bearing grease seal on the opposite side is a possibility. Of course the drum surfaces need to be clean and reasonably equal in surface finish both sides.

Not to preach, you probably know it but whatever you do to brakes on one side you must do equally on both sides.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 9:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved