Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Paper element air filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Does anyone know the part number for a round, paper element air filter to use on the round air cleaner assembly?

Looking at this one it looks like a 8 inch OD and a 6.5 inch ID round element that is 1.75 to 2.0 inches tall would work.

I am waiting for a return email from Wix however I thought I would ask the man who owns one.

Also, what is the purpose of the hollow cavity in the air cleaner assembly?

THANKS,

Bill

Posted on: 2015/4/30 14:16
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Paper element air filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also, what is the purpose of the hollow cavity in the air cleaner assembly?

Resonance chamber to minimize noise.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
might try this works on my 47 clipper

Purolator A30057

Posted on: 2015/4/30 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not just go down to your favorite auto parts store and sort through their supply of air filter elements until you find one that will work? This is what I have done and had good luck. Be sure to save the part you remove so the air cleaner can be returned to its oil bath function should you or the next owner want to do this in the future.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/4/30 21:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom in KCMO
See User information
Packard 48,

I found that a Wix 46094 is the closest fit I could find. It's just a little taller than the original 'pot scrubby' metal mesh filter. With the Wix, you'll need to add a small coupling nut and screw into this with a separate bolt from the top.

Tom in KC

'48 Station Sedan (standard eight engine)

Posted on: 2015/5/1 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks for the feedback.

Autozone was able to cross reference the part number you provided to a Luberliner LAF 1782 (or a WIX 46094) paper element filter and it works perfectly!!!

Here are some pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.01 KB)
84982_554b8b6dd12b2.jpg 361X336 px

jpg  (6.05 KB)
84982_554b8b7a118ff.jpg 156X160 px

Posted on: 2015/5/7 11:00
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I finally got around to putting the hood back on only to discover that the Wix air filter Wix 46094 is too tall and the air cleaner lid hits the bottom of the hood.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shorter 8 inch round airfilter? The Wix 46041 is shorter (1 3/4) and round however it is a bit too wide (9 1/8) to fit correctly in the air cleaner however it would work in a pinch.

Getting closer...

Posted on: 2015/8/22 20:58
Bill,

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
What year and model do you have. I have a 1951 model 200 with the mushroom style air filter canister directly on the Carter carburetors . I tried to fit a NAPA 6094 which I think is the same as the Wix 46094, it looked like it was going to make the air cleaner top hit the under side if the hood. I wonder if the people who have fitted the Wix as a replacement have those cross over type air cleaners with the filter not on the carb? I didn't want to slam the hood in place to really check the fit. Has anyone fitting this filter in the 51 type canister?

Posted on: 2015/9/6 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Yes...same air cleaner on a Series 22nd and filter and it required an extension stud to make the filter be able to bolt down. It did hit the bottom of the hood. The hood would latch however the aft edge of the hood would stick up and you could feel the engine rattling around under the hood.

I am running the metal OEM oil bath filter right now. Not too happy with that choice but I it is better than nothing as long as the metal bits do not brittle and break off and get sucked into the engine.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 16:24
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I have the non-oil-bath AC air cleaner, with the "resonance chamber" and metal filter element.

The original element measures thus:

1D 7"
OD 8 1/4"
Height 1 1/4"
Cross section thickness 3/4"

The closest I could com was a NAPA Gold PN 2186. It's a bit too tall to get the wingnut on, and a tight squeeze on the ID:

The NAPA filter measures:

ID 6.25
OD 8.25 (Perfect!)
Height: 1.9"
(Should clear the hood easily, but the cover is too high to use the original wingnut setup.)

The original filter element is very short by modern standards, and I doubt we'll be able to find a paper element that is this short

As Tom in KCMO suggested, you need to engineer a coupling for the threaded center shaft, . A coupler should do it, but I want one that will fit UNDER the cover, otherwise I'd have to enlarge the hole on the cover. Call me picky, but enlarging the hole is not an option for me.

I've been "studying" on it for a while. I'll probably have to cut down one of the long coupler nuts that are made to join two pieces of threaded stock.

Over course, all this must be done with utmost care, so there is no possibility of the coupler ever loosening and falling into the intake.

If someone knows another way to extend that shaft through the original cover hole, let us know. I believe the shaft is 3/16 with 32 thread size (unless it's an SAE size, in which case, good luck finding a coupler).

Posted on: 2015/9/15 15:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved