Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Paper element air filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure exactly how your cleaner fits together. IIRC, my car takes 1/4-20 but yours may be different.

Verify the exact thread size and see if you can match the thread and the amount of extra length you need with something like this. I just grabbed an example off McMasters website but they and probably MSC have this type standoff in several different threads, lengths and materials.

If they have the right length without it being too long perhaps you would be able to screw onto your rod and use the cap as is. They also have different style wingnuts so maybe something thinner or less bulky could be found.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.16 KB)
209_55f885dd9091a.jpg 606X548 px

Posted on: 2015/9/15 15:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks HH!

Now at least I know what it's called: a Standoff!

These air cleaners have pretty small wingnut shafts. I believe 3/16" is correct for mine, this diameter is also known as a "10" for some reason. The threads are fine, too, and I think 32 is correct.

I'm going to look for a Standoff! It'll probably be a standoff between me and the parts guy, though:

You need a whut? Kinda' car ya got? Who made Packards?

Posted on: 2015/9/15 16:20
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I had such an extender and used it worked however the air cleaner was too tall and hit the bottom of the hood

Posted on: 2015/9/15 22:59
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Hm, hit the hood on a '48. Isn't that hood taller than the hood on the post-'50 cars?

The NAPA element I mentioned is 1.9" high according to their specs, and the original "Brillo" filter element is 1.25" so a difference of 3/4".

Before trying the extension technique, a trial fit of the paper element will tell the tale. It'll be easy without using the wingnut.

Guess it would be best to put a dab of grease or something on the top of the air cleaner, then gently lower the hood and check for a grease spot on the underside of the hood. Come to think of it, putting a pretty thick blob of grease on it would show if there's at least 1/2" or so of clearance, in case the hood flexes a bit when closed too hard.

Also, I have to make sure that the extended threads don't penetrate past the "wings" of the nut when it's tightened. I could easily see myself miscalculating on that.

BTW, cleaning and oiling the original filter element regularly per the manual instructions makes sure it's working as good as it can. When I last did this, I used some leftover lube spray from a K&N filter. I think it works well and is much less messy than oil. The K&N stuff is not just a lube, it's a bit stickier than oil, which I think is good.

(K&N DOES NOT have a filter element close to the right size. I had them in an on-line chat for about 20 minutes while they checked their database for every possible size they carried. Nothing came close to meeting all the dimensions.)

Posted on: 2015/10/14 20:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I found an easy fix is to find a filter the right height and as close to the right diameter as possible. Then cut out a slice of the filter on a table and press the cut ends together. By trial and error, you can eventually reduce the diameter to get a tight fit in the air cleaner housing which will hold the ends together.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I've been looking for something like this for awhile. Your solution may work, but how about sectioning the filter- cut the Wix filter where the paper joins the rubber ring, then cut the paper element to size and join back together with hot glue.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 11:24
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Could I ask the forum to clarify for this newcomer, what paper filter size/brands they recommend that will fit my 1947 Custom Super Eight Clipper 356ci Model 2106 to covert my oil bath air cleaner to paper? Mine has a slight leak and also thought this was a good time/excuse to convert?

I'm grateful for your input.

Attach file:

jpg  oil bath cleaner.jpg (48.52 KB)
224977_61b66bcfc79a9.jpg 838X643 px

Posted on: 2021/12/12 16:38
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can't answer the question but I'm sure someone else will. However, I saw something a while back that made me wonder if such a conversion is a good idea. It suggested that they can restrict air flow as the car wasn't engineered for something like that and the oil bath works perfectly well.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 16:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
I certainly don't want to restrict air flow so need the forum to weight in on pros & cons, to be sure!

Thanks for that.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 16:57
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Given the superior function of oil bath filters and that the maintenance for most of us would be so infrequent, I'd fix your leak and stay with the oil bath. If my car had the more basic oiled mesh style filter, then I'd give serious though to changing to a paper element.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 17:51
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved